Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sense and Sensibilitly Is My Wife's Star Wars

As far as I am concerned you can't watch the Star Wars movies enough. The series of movies is just one of the cinimatic masterpieces of all time. When it comes on the TV and I stumble on it and get locked in. Jack is the same way. I have no idea how many times I have seen these movies except the last one. I have seen that one 4 times. I own the musical cd's as well as all of the movies. I even have the FAMILY GUY Star Wars.

I tried about 8 or 9 years ago to be Mr. Romantic and I rented Sense and Sensibility to watch with my wife for an in-house date night. I knew I was in for it when it was a TWO cassette movie. I don't remember what we had for dinner but we cooked something outside and ate it and then cuddled up on the couch for the movie. Tracey was excited I could tell that I was giving this movie a chance. (It would be like how excited I would be if she ever gave the movie RAMBO a chance.) The first Rambo movie is an excellent movie. Rambo II was pretty good and Rambo III was a little out there. All I want is for her to sit down and watch Rambo with me one time...but I digress.

Anyway, S and S had many stars in it that I knew so I was up for the challenge and ready to go. Then the movie started. I remember having a hard time understanding what they were saying. They spoke softly, quickly, and in a THICK English accent. After about 10 questions of what did they just say? and 45 minutes into the movie I could see that I was frustrating Tracey so I shut up. I decided I would just try to figure out what was going on by watching. It id not help. I made it about an hour and a half and I fell asleep on the couch. I got points for trying and I have tried to watch the movie to give it another try but no good. I just check out mentally.

I will say this about Tracey. If S and S is on the TV and she stumbles across it. She is tuned in. Not only that but she does not want to be disturbed while she watches it. Just like me with Star Wars. We have S and S on tape, dvd, and I think we might have the soundtrack. I will say this..the music is great.

The other day I walked into the living area and there is Tracey watching a movie. It is set in England in the time period of S and S but these are totally new people playing the parts. I thought she might be watching Emma...another one of her favorites. She told me. she was watching S and S and that it was a new version.

I just looked at her. It's the same movie! That was when I was informed that there not only was a new version but they changed some stuff up! I understand adding maybe. Like when they added the part in Star Wars where Han Solo was having that coversation with Jabba. That was funny when he stepped on Jabba's tail.

Anyway, put another talley on the board for S and S.

Tracey has Sense and Sensibility and I have Star Wars.

Can we PLEASE watch Rambo ONE TIME?!?!?

Here is my question....what movie is YOUR STAR WARS?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, first of all, Star Wars is my childhood Star Wars. I can't even count the number of times I watched that movie and the rest of the original trilogy. If it's on television, chances are I will be sucked into its orbit. Nowadays, I would have to say that Godfather II and Postcards From the Edge are my Star Wars. Very different films, I know, but both of them, for different reasons, compel me to put down whatever I'm doing and just blend into the film. Another interesting question is: what is your Mommie Dearest? What campy/goofy film, if you come across it as you're flipping channels at 11pm, do you just HAVE to watch until 2am (even though it's not a great film and you've already seen it ten times)? Some that come to mind, in addition to Mommy Dearest, are Tremors, Imitation of Life (the Lana Turner version), and The Shadow.

Anonymously yours,
Kirsten

JDHTEACH said...

Goofy Film...Tommy Boy...hands down. I watch that any time it is on TV.

Anonymous said...

Any of the Star Wars rank at the top of my list. Also, and of The Godfather movies.

One of the more recent ones for me is The Departed. That has been on cable a lot over the last couple months and I always stop and watch whenever I come across it.

The MAN Fan Club said...

I'll watch Shawshank Redemption over and over.