Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Horses Are Ready. Are You?

Tonight is opening night at Lone Star Park. For the past 4 or 5 years my dad has gotten us seats up in the restaurant up by the buffet. This is one of my favorite father, son bonding times that we get to do together. We usually have someone else from the family and a work friend of my dad's join us.

The funny thing is my dad and is buddy really study up on the horses. They look at the horses winning percentage combined with the jockey and of course the trainer. I on the other use my vast brain power to determine which horse looks the best in his "uniform." This is a complicated formula. Each category gets a number of 1-10. There are three categories. You add the totals and divide by three. For the sake of time I just pick two horses either by color or name. I told you it was complicated. Here is how it works.

1. Name- 1-10
2. Color Combo of horse and his number flag. 1-10
3. Behavior of horse- Is he antsy? 1-10
4. Divide by 3 and the horse with the highest number I bet on. If it's a tie I will box the bet.

Of course this is NOT TRUE but when it comes to predicting how an ANIMAL is going to run I would say this is about as good as any. Occasionally Dad and his buddy will hit on something but we usually all come away with a story of how we ALMOST cashed in.

Tonight I think I will let them do all of the thinking and I will enjoy the good food, the company of friends and the people watching.

1 comment:

The MAN Fan Club said...

You play the horses kind of like a woman picking football teams.