Sunday, April 20, 2008

Magic Trash

One thing I struggled with as a young teacher was getting the kids to pick up after themselves at the end of a school day. They would do some but their attitude was..."That's the custodians job." I informed them that they were wrong the custodian was not their maid. So I invented MAGIC TRASH. What I would do at the end of the day is I would pick something on the floor that would be magic. I had my tables grouped in tables. I would tell my tables to pick up magic trash and which ever table got the magic trash got 5 tally points. I will explain later how I used tally points. Let's just say the kids would do anything for tally points. Anyway, off they would go. I swear sometimes when they were done you did not need to vacuum.

So how can you use this concept with your kids at home? More to come.

3 comments:

The MAN Fan Club said...

I even have kids picking up trash in the cafeteria. The janitor really appreciates it too. I don't ask them to pick up squishy things, but I try to walk around early enough to catch, "Who had Pringles?"

Anonymous said...

Do you think this would work getting a husband to close cabinet doors, screw the lids back on bottles,not to leave the milk on the cabinet next to the fridge instead of in the fridge, etc.?

Anonymous said...

Do you think this would work getting a husband to close cabinet doors, screw the lids back on bottles,not to leave the milk on the cabinet next to the fridge instead of in the fridge, etc.?