Sunday, April 6, 2008

Old Fashioned Parenting

Today is a BEAUTIFUL day here in Dallas. Sunny and I would say low 70's. After church Tracey and I told the kids that they could change their clothes into play clothes and go outside to play. We knew that shortly there after our next door neighbors grandson would come out and maybe the boy at the end of the street.
We also told Jack that today no one was aloud to come over to our house and play. He could play with them in our yard or sidewalk but no one was allowed in the house for today. If he got tired and wanted to come in he could but just him.
Why did we do this? We don't like the other kids!?!?! NO....we noticed all they do is sit and play video games. This is fine on rainy days I suppose but today it is OUT THE DOOR.
They played hard for about 2 and half hours. Jack and Caroline both came in for a water break. They were both breathing hard and their faces were red. The cause was a game of tag with the boundaries being three houses long. Finally, Jack came to see if they could please come inside. I told him no and if he wanted to rest he could play his Nintendo DS sitting under the tree with the boys. They finally went in to the neighbors house at hour number 3 outside to go watch a movie. THIS TIME Caroline got to go with them. (Good Job Jack)

This may seem mean by not letting him come inside but I remember when I was a kid on a day like today we were off by 10 in the morning and I did not come home till dinner time. If it was a pretty day and me and my friends were playing Atari or shooting pool my mother would kick us out after about an hour to go outside. I will probably put a time limit on Jack in the future if he wants to come in on pretty days. (30-60 min)

The benefits of keeping them active outside-
  • Good Health
  • The Kids Eat Well
  • Go to bed on time and get good sleep

All because of good "Old Fashioned" parenting

No comments: