Friday, March 7, 2008

Thank You Mr. MAN CLUB

I wanted to thank a good friend of mine who happens to be head of "The Man Club" I met Mr. M about 7 or 8 years ago. We were both teaching at the same school at the time. He worked inclusion with my kids who needed the extra help. We both worked extended day at our campus for extra money and the ultimate bonding happened when we held an all night party in our school. It was a fund raiser and he and I watched over and played with the kids in the school. That was the deal. It was like a lock in. We had a blast....played basketball with the kids...hockey....kickball......it nearly killed us but finally at 3 o'clock in the morning the kids crashed and he and I looked like death warmed over. We won a TON of browny points with our principal at the time because it was supposed to be for girls. A couple of female teachers were going to do make-up and nails all night. The only problem was as a joke a boy put in a ticket in the pot. AND HE WON. They had no idea what to do. They approached Mr. M and I about would we consider doing it. Both of us jumped at it and had a ball.

Why did I go into that long story? Because it is one of my best memories as a teacher and it was at that point Mr. M became not just a work partner but a friend. Since this time we have both moved on to other jobs in different districts. However, we still email one another quite frequently and we meet up to play POKER at least once a month. Occassionally we can squeeze in twice.

Off and on I have been battling leukemia (I will tell my story later) for two years now. Mr. M has been praying for me and asked his friends in his church to do the same. He has visited me in the hospital and watched games with me on the TV just so I would not be alone and he lives about 40 miles from the hospital. He has even offered to mow my yard for free...again he lives 30 miles away from me.

Mr. M you have been a great friend to me these past almost 10 years and I am glad you are here.

JDH

1 comment:

The MAN Fan Club said...

Thanks Huff. Nice memories of that night. I do remember trying to listen to the St. Louis Blues hockey game online as well. I was whipped and tired!

The ironic thing is that we left Texas for 2 years although I did come back and visit one time and stopped by the portable. Rainy day.

It was a blessing to continue our friendship when we moved back AND it has been 6 great years this time.

Your situation reminds me how fragile life is and I get so much value from my friendships and just being able to help, or offer to help, increases my self worth. AND the mowing part is fun for me.

Thanks for being the designated driver a few times as well!

Prayer is GOOD!

TheMAN

The MAN