Sunday, March 23, 2008

A New (used) Car

Okay, where I live gas is going at 3.25 a gallon. I know this it is higher in other areas but this is starting to get impacting. My wife drives a large SUV and we are slowly becoming a one car family as I drive a Toyota Camry. Well the other day we filled up the large SUV and it ran a little over 75.00. WOW....the large SUV just became a "Sunday to Church" vehicle. So I decided to look around and see if their was a possibility we could get out of this thing and find something with space for the family and BETTER GAS MILEAGE.

I knew we were upside down but not by very much. I also knew that for quite some time my wife had her eye on a type of vehicle that she really liked. I looked online at dealerships and the prices they had on their used versions of the car were on the high end to " to no way" end of our budget and high mileage.

My wife suggested looking at Car Max to see if they had the vehicle we were looking for. So I went on the computer and put the price range I was looking at and BINGO there were two vehicles on the LOWEST end of my price range. Both vehicles were a year or two old and had low mileage.

I had always heard about Car Max and their no hassle idea so off my wife went while I watched the kids. I must say they are correct. Here is the price and that's it. Here is what we will give you for your car...that's it and then you decide yes or no. It was extremely easy and not near as drawn out as I have seen the process go. If we did not have to go through financing my wife would have been out of their with the car she wanted in about an hour.

We went with the older vehicle because it was basically the same vehicle but it had 10k less miles on it.

So now my wife has a 2005 Cadillac SRX. I have seen the vehicles on the road but have never been in one. She drove the car home and I got in it and WOW!!! These cars are NICE!! I have never bought a car in this realm before. My parents had a couple of Cadillac's when I was growing up but I have not ridden in one in years. We went out in the car and I got to drive. The ride in these vehicles is amazing. I am VERY IMPRESSED with the SRX.

The best part is my car payment went down a little over 100 dollars and with the fuel situation that savings could go up to the 150 to 200 range. I did go with the extended warranty to 100k. Overall I would say a very positive car buying experience.

JDHTEACH

2 comments:

The MAN Fan Club said...

Carmax kind of adopted the Saturn way of car dealings. Is the SRX the crossover wagon type? My wife really likes that one as well.

Kudos to your wife for taking care of the business. My wife would NEVER do that.

CarMaxChris said...

My name is Chris and I am the social media PR guy at the CarMax home office. Google Alerts notified me of your blog posting mentioning us. I love to read blogs from happy customers! I’m glad your wife had a great experience at one of our stores. I hope you tell your friends to visit a CarMax store or www.carmax.com!