Sunday, March 23, 2008

Ahh...Easter Sunday at Church

Alright...the family here are members of a large church here in Dallas. I don't know the exact member number but our Sanctuary holds about 2500 people and there are many Sunday's where the place is 3/4 full to full. The church runs 3 services each Sunday. Typically we go to the middle service. We can sleep in a little and still have most of our day to do whatever we want.

Today we left extra early to make sure we had plenty of time to get in and get settled. We PLANNED on it being crowded and we were not disappointed. Tons of people today. The problem I have is when these people do not plan accordingly.

Here is Jon Doe who shows up at church 5 minutes after the music has started and they make an announcement for us to move to the center so that we can make room for all of the Jon Doe's who showed up late to the service.

Here are my thoughts..

1. HOW ARE YOU LATE TO EASTER SERVICE? You know it's going to be crowded. PLAN AHEAD. The ol' saying of "your poor planning does not mean I now have a crisis."

2. Why should I give up my PRIME seat on the isle (extra leg room) for some person who is LATE to the service?

Now what I did do is move out of my seat to let THEM go squeeze into the middle of the pew but I worked hard to ensure I would get the seat so sorry I am not giving it up. (I follow the same concept in movie theaters.) I got here early to get the seat I want. Your late...you get the left overs not me.

The service was wonderful and the music was FANTASTIC Then came trying to get out of the Sanctuary. We had 2,000 people trying to get out but there were 2,000 people trying to get INTO the sanctuary at the same time to get a good seat. Result.....deadlock. Normally there is a line of traffic that people follow. People leave on the right hand side of the hall and the people coming in are on the right side of the hall. Today.....both sides seemed to want both lanes of traffic. I inched out the door.

Next came the parking lot.....oh my gosh. My son and I went to go get the car while my wife went to go get our daughter. I am in the middle of backing my car out when a guy in a JAGUAR pulls up behind me and parks on the curb and leaves his car JOGGING toward the church. I rolled my window down and yelled "Excuse Me?" but he either did not hear me or totally ignored me. So after a seven point turn I was able to get out of my parking space. I did have one family that walked right behind my MOVING vehicle and looked at me like I was evil for almost hitting them. NEWS FLASH...DON'T WALK BEHIND A MOVING CAR!!!!

Next year I have it figured out. We are going to PALM Sunday and the kids will dress up all pretty. When Easter hits the JDHTEACH clan is staying away from all the people who come to church on Easter and Christmas.

Besides that I had a wonderful experience at church today.

1 comment:

The MAN Fan Club said...

I'm sure Jesus would be okay with you skipping THE SUPER BOWL OF OUR CHRISTIAN FAITH.

I think the state board of education should add teaching Common Sense to the TEKS somewhere. At least require the class at the high school level and get rid of home ec.

Come to a smaller church like ours next year. FANTASTIC!!!! One service, not too crowded on the seating, no parking backlash.

I'm an aisle seat person no matter the event. Usually because I PEE way too much.