Thursday, March 13, 2008

Fast Food Industry Hiring Practices

I dropped by one of my local fast food establishments today and I noticed something. All of the workers in the establishment were hispanic. I will say this about the hispanic culture. They WORK. Every single person in that restaurant was working like crazy. Noone was casually working either. I mean these people had a MISSION. The sign on the restaurant says 43 million served but these people were working like they were trying to serve 43 million....TODAY. Across the world they probably do.

I have only two request.

Request #1- Any person who is in a position where they are going to be interaction WITH people please speak the English language effectively. Today, I give the girl credit for trying but normally when you step up to place an order you get ...."May I take your order". Today in very broken English which I did not catch the first time and asked the girl to repeat was "What...you ...want?" What the heck is that? What I want? What do I say? Me want food? Me want hamburger?

Request #2 Learn how to make change so that in the event that the cash register goes funky on you you know what to do.
My bill $4.97. I gave the girl 5 dollars and 2 cents. I did this so I could get rid of the pennies in my pocket and I would get back one nickel instead of 3 pennies. The girl just looked at me like I was stupid for paying OVER my bill when I explained to her my reasoning. SHE HAD TO GET THE APPROVAL OF THE MANAGER. He of course told her sure and we moved on but I sure shut down that cash resgister for an extra 5 minutes.

My son is learning how to make change in the first grade for crying out loud!!!!!

I am just going to throw this out there but if I were a manager of fast food place I would put the English speakers on the registers and the non-english speakers on the assembly line making the food.

2 comments:

Tony Rosenberg said...

At least you GOT service :)

The MAN Fan Club said...

#2 even kills english speaking high school students. Don't dare hand them that convenience change after they have punched in the bill amount that they were thinking you were going to give.