Sunday, March 30, 2008

Now This Is What I Remember As A Kid

The temperatures are warming up here in North Texas. We have been getting some rain but for the most part we have been getting pretty good temperatures. The kids in the neighborhood are starting to come out of the wood works and play. We are lucky in that we are in an established neighborhood (houses are 25yrs old) with many original owners but there are quite a few kids around my son's age (1st-2nd grade) that live right around our block.

It started at Spring Break. Our neighbor's grandson visits every weekend and during spring break. Every day he came over and Jack and Caroline would play with him. Sometimes over here and sometimes over there...(really nice quiet time for us)

Since then my son does his homework right after school and then out he and his sister go to play with the kids who seem to always gather up in front of our house. 4:30 to 6:00 they are out there riding bikes, scooters...looking at bugs throwing a football...you name it. Either me, my wife, or the neighbor watch over them. 6:00 dinner..then decompress time and off to bed at 8:30.

I made a mental note today because TODAY was special. The kids went outside to play with the next door neighbor's grandson. I kept our door open so I could hear them. I started hearing more and more kids. I went out to check on them and their must have been 15 kids out there playing stick ball. I did this a lot as a kid (playing in the street) only we playing football. I started laughing when I heard 15 kids yell...CCCCCAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and everyone moved to the side......brought back a lot of good memories.

I LOVE MY NEIGHBORHOOD

3 comments:

Tony Rosenberg said...

Growing up, we lived right across the street from the school. So, we didn't necessarily gather up in front of anybody's house, but we would all gather in the school yard and play football, stickball, soccer, or ... wait for it ... tether ball.

Anonymous said...

I was probably standing right by you when most of those CCCCCAAAARRRRSSSSS went by! We ran into our fair share of parked ones playing street football, too!

Much like the whole episode with the cars, I can also hear the splash of the basketball landing in the pool after a particularly bad shot was taken!

nikao

JDHTEACH said...

Yes we broke a couple of windshields with footballs. I personally had to replace a mailbox that I knocked down with my body as I was SHOVED into it lightly.