Saturday, March 15, 2008

Parents, WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO YOURSELF?

I think I have mentioned that I am in education. I have been on the administrative side of the table now for 5 years. I cannot tell you how many times I have run across this exact situation.

Kids get parents riled up and mad at the school for multiple reasons. Bad grades and Discipline I would say would be one and two.

Now here is a multiple choice question to see if you know how to correctly handle this situation.
A. Parent calls or emails teacher to find out what is going on and works with the teacher(s) to correct problem.
B. Parent skips calling teacher and calls AP or the principal (me)
C. Parent just shows up at the campus spitin' mad.

Now if you think about this A is the obvious answer. Sometimes parents will try B. I handle this by listening to their situation and letting them get their concern out there. I then ask them if they have talked to their teacher about this concern. 99% of the time the asnwer is no. At this time I direct them to the teacher and move on.

But here is the kicker. You would be surprised how many parents choose C as their option. Why do you only take the information from your child as the holy writings and then show up at school only to find out your child has told you only half truths or complete fabrication of the facts. You end up not looking to good and often embarrassed and you apologize for your behavior and you leave with your tail ducked between your legs. Some parents this happens to more than once.

So please parents before you show up at your son or daughters school ready to get even for the tragic conditions your child has been dealing with PLEASE give the opportunity of the educator to give you all of the facts before you make a decision.

Educators are not PERFECT. They do make mistakes. But please give them an opportunity to speak. Many times it will save a lot of time and you a lot of stress.