Tuesday, March 25, 2008

TAKS SCORES ARE IN!!!

Well our Texas fifth graders are finding out the results of how they did on the State Reading Assessment. As principal of my campus I must say I was worried going into this testing season with my fifth grade. They are a great group of kids but for some reason they have been inconsistent. They do well on one assessment and then on another they don't do well. Our tutoring groups have been a revolving door because we try to tutor by objectives.

I am very proud of how they performed. They rose up and did very well. Compared to where our 5th graders (this years 6th graders) were last year they scored 9% higher. The kids who did not pass have another opportunity to take the test in April. If they don't pass it then they have to take the test in July. After the April assessment we will be able to figure out our school accountability.

On a personal note I am very happy because I have been out of the building since October while I have been getting treatment and recovering from Leukemia. I have been able to remain in constant contact by phone and email and occasional visits but by not being in the building and seeing the kids I feel kind of lost. Thank goodness I hired excellent people. My leadership team have been OUTSTANDING and the support I have been given by my district is THE BEST!

I am also happy because we scored higher than the other intermediate campus in the district. We tested more kids and had more pass. Of course I wish the best for them but it is just the inner competition in me. I want my school to be the best.

A good leader is one that while they are in charge the company prospers but when they leave it falls apart.

A GREAT leader is one that while they are there the company prospers but they also TEACH others so that when they are no longer there the company continues to grow and prosper.

I read the book GOOD to GREAT three years ago. I really got a lot out that book and use many of its lessons I learned in running my school and dealing with people.

I am not saying I am a GREAT leader. I have only been a principal for 3 years and I have so much more to learn but I cannot argue with the results I am getting from the people I work WITH.

No comments: