Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Its Fun To Work With New Teachers

Today I had the opportunity to walk one of my new hires around the building and show them their new new classroom. This is a first year teacher right out of college. She is so excited and cannot wait for school to start. I am trying to make it to vacation and she can't wait for August to get here! Anyway, I thought it was neat to talk with her and get to know her a bit. She brought her mother and her grandmother with her so they could see her classroom. As they were leaving I found myself remembering how I was that first year. I had my very own classroom! My mom and I worked for 3 days getting everything set up and the room decorated. One day my grandmother came and helped as well. That was 14 years ago.

I got that same feeling again when I got my first administrative position. I had my very own office! Again my mother came and set up my office with pictures and lamps and other things. Grandma came to see my new set up and was pleased for me.

The feeling came again when got my first principal ship. When I pulled into the parking lot I just spent a few moments looking at the building. I had gone to college and earned a degree, and got a graduate degree and spent countless hours juggling work and school all for this. This building was mine! I had been put in a position to make decisions for what I thought was best for 75 staff members and 450 kids. I had two thoughts run through my head. The first, I was just like that first year teacher. Excited and ready for the year to start NOW. The other thought was man I better not screw this up!

Again, mom came up and helped me set up my office. Due to grandma's declining health she never made it to my campus but she knew what was happening and was so excited for me. Even near the end when her condition had robbed her of many of her memories she always remembered my name and was so proud of what I did for a living.

Even though I have been in this position for 3 years now I still am exited about what I do. I am officially staffed and am ready to go for next year! Just like that first year teacher I met with today she could not stop talking about all the great things she wants to do in her classroom I could talk just as much about all the great stuff we have planned as a building next year.

Before school starts I want to change some things up in my office. I will have mom come up and get pick her brain for ideas just as this first year teacher I am sure will do. My grandmother will be there as well. In my mind and in my heart!

1 comment:

The MAN Fan Club said...

You seem like a good admin person to work for. I've had bad(2 years ago) and GREAT (this past year and my 2 years in Joplin.)

Everyone had to be a FIRST year teacher at some point.

See you next week maybe.