Thursday, July 3, 2008

Big Golf Tourney Today For Jack!

This morning was a big event for Jack. His first golf tournament since we took a break from golf. Jack was on the local public golf courses junior golf team. They had class every Tuesday and Thursday night. The problem we started noticing was that when the temperature got hot Jack would get zapped of any energy he had. We backed off of golf for about a month and with the exception of hitting balls a couple of times we took a break from playing.

During this break we really made an effort to monitor Jacks diet and excercise to help build up his stamina. Another thing we did was we encouraged him to play outside to get adapted to the heat. This along with his swimming and karate kept him pretty busy physically. He has only lost 2 lbs but everyone has noticed his tummy is smaller. Don't get me wrong. Jack is not fat but he needed to be in better shape to haul around a golf bag for 9 holes in 95 + degree heat.

This week was golf camp at the local public golf course where he used to be on the team. His coach told us every day how great Jack was doing and that you could really see a change in him. This morning was the tourniment that they do and the end of each golf camp. Jack stepped up to the first hole. It was 175 yards to the pin. Jack CRUSHED the t-shot and was on the green in 2. He continued his good play throughout the tourniment. He had some clunkers but he was able to always follow that up with a great recovery shot. He was able to finish 2nd out of 11 kids in his talent group. He was so happy to get a trophy. The important thing is he improved his overall score from his previous tourniment.

On a scoring note I think there was some point shaving going on by some parents in my group. Normally you switch cards with the others in your group so that you are not keeping score of your own kids card. I know this seems petty but today was a classic reason why they do this in tourniments. When we got our scorecard we started to try and trade with the father of one of the other kids in our group and he looked at us like we were nuts. He said, "I want to keep track of my kids score." Okay fine. So we went along with it. Well I know now why that dad did not want someone else keeping track of his kids card. I know for a fact that he scored poorly on a couple of the holes today. And yet somehow his score was somehow 3 shots better than Jacks. I did not care because I was only concerned about Jack and this kid was in another talent group anyway. His dad must have looked away on a couple of his kids shots. His kid ended up winning his talent group by two strokes. As his kid was picking up his first place trophy I wondered why it was THAT important for the dad that his son win. I think his son scored somewhere around where Jack did maybe a little worse. I figured his cheating cost one kid a trophy and another kid a medal but if its that important to you I guess you will do whatever. I am just as competitive as the next person when it comes to sports but I am not going to cheat to do it and darn sure am not going to cheat against a kid. All I want is for Jack to have fun and play well. If he wins something GREAT! I guess that other dad will sleep well tonight since "technically" his kid won.

No comments: