Saturday, August 16, 2008

Some "Daddy" Time

With the start of school approaching I am been having some long days at work. I either am in extra early or stay late. Last week Jack asked me if I would take him to see the new Star Wars animated film when it came out. I told him I would. Well he has talked about it all week. I thought it was just going to be a father and son activity but Thursday night Caroline said she wanted to go. No problem! So finally the night was here.

We ate as a family at a restaurant that was close to the theater and then I walked with the kids to the theater and my wife was off for some very well deserved "Me Time".

I was not sure what to expect of the movie but that was not important. The important thing was I was getting to spend time with the kids. Just me.

They put the squeeze on me to get them a drink and popcorn but I had in mind that we would go get ice cream after the movie. I told them I had money but only enough for treats now or after the movie. When they heard ice cream they voted to pass on a drink and popcorn.

Next stop restrooms- Does anybody need to go? Response? DAAAADDDDYYYY we just went at the restaurant. Oh yeah that's right...Daddy forgot. Okay, let's go get our seats. We get in the theater and find our seats. I did my best to entertain them until the previews started.

Movie starts and about 10 minutes into it there is a pretty good battle scene. Jack is TOTALLY GLUED to the screen. Caroline looks up at me and whispers.....Daddy, maybe I should not have come with you and Jack. This is a bit scary.

Would you feel safer if you sat with Daddy? Uh Huh! So that is where she spent most of the movie.

The movie itself was not all that bad. I would not have seen it in the movie theater if Jack was not such a big fan and 90% of the theater was dad's with their son's or daughters but it was not that bad. It was right at 90 minutes.

About midway both kids had to go to the bathroom so we did that but we only missed a few minutes. We were able to keep up.

At the conclusion of the movie we met mom outside the theater and as a family we walked to the ice cream store. It was a very nice evening for August in Texas.

I really had a great evening. I hope the kids liked it as well.

2 comments:

CaraSaraTX said...

that is so sweet. i'm glad caroline and jack and you were able to spend a "jason" night out. hasn't it changed? jason night probably meant going out, carousing, courting, drinking....just kidding :) but aren't the best nights with the kids?
i remember kirsten and i went to see chicken run at the movie theatre. it was, honestly, all kids and their parents. i was a little freaked because i thought it was going to be really loud.
turns out it was. but so much fun! kids screaming at the screen and when the 2 chickens kiss at the end (sorry, hope no spoiler for those people who apparently are not alive and haven't seen it) all the kids were like "ewwww!"
well, we were laughing our heads off and i felt like a little kid watching it with them.
so, i'm glad you all had fun and glad there was only one bathroom sojourn. pretty impressive!
xoxo
sara

Becca in Texas said...

We took our boys to see that on Friday as well. As we were walking out I heard this teenage boy tell his friends, "Yeah, we were at the movies with a bunch of five year olds." Which was absolutely accurate.