Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mr. Groov E Shooz

Well we kicked off our new school year with the staff on Monday. Our theme this year is Moovin' and Groovin' for Success. To go with this theme we will be studying the decade of the 70's. The music, the culture, the economics...you get the point. Anyway, besides all of this we thought it would be great if the leadership team dress up in 70's garb and we had disco music playing throughout the day.

THIS WAS A HUGE SUCCESS! More than I ever dreamed. The staff LOVED IT!

The staff came in and we had disco music playing in the library. They were not real sure why we chose that type of music other than it is upbeat. I along with the leadership team mingled with the staff as they ate breakfast. Once most of the staff showed up I along with the leadership team disappeared and we changed into our 70's garb.

My Alter Ego is Mr. Groov E Shooz- Mr. Groov E Shooz has a very authentic 70's suit that is so out there you can't do it justice describing it. I will post a picture when I get one. Basically it is a maroon suit. An Orange shirt with ruffles and the HUGE collar. Some Silver Glitter platform shoes and to finish it off I have I HUGE PEACE necklace and some maroon shaded Elvis sun glasses. With the shoes I am about 6'6 inches tall.

We I entered the library as Mr. Groov E Shooz the staff just started laughing. They loved it! I then led the first activity we did as Mr. Groov E Shooz.

Throughout the year Mr. Groov E Shooz will make appearances at school activities and help motivate the kids.

Throughout the day as I presented to the staff each part of my presentation was named after a 70's song. Example- Meet The Teacher Night= Le Freak....thinking the teachers might be freaking out about what they have to get done between now and then. Get it? Anyway, they seemed to enjoy the time I put in to connect the two.

During breaks and transition of activities we had 70's disco music playing and I noticed that while walking to their stations the teachers would be doing little dance moves or during breaks some would get together and start dancing in the library in line dances. Evidently MANY of these disco songs have line dances now. WHO KNEW ?!?!?

It should be a fun year!

No comments: