Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Flag Football

Well Jack is about to start playing flag football. He went and had a skills assessment done a couple of weeks ago. He had his first of a three day football camp today. Tracey told me he absolutely loved it. She does not know a whole lot about football drills so she could not tell me a whole lot of what they did (which is okay...I don't know anything about volleyball drills- a sport she played in HS) but she said he was pumped up and talking big at the conclusion of practice....all the while holding his mommy's hand.

Because of Jack's size many people who see him in person think he would make a great football player. The thing is football is not just about size. I remember playing against guys much bigger than me and I kicked their hind end. Was I better than them? No....It is all in the mind...I did not care if I got hurt the big guy always did.

Jack has the size there is no doubt. We have plenty of time to see if he has the heart for it. My thing is I want him to try as many sports as he wants to now. When he gets older we can concentrate on something he really loves and wants to pursue.

Right Now Here are Jacks True Love's when it comes to Sports
1. Golf- No question- loves golf lessons- the golf team he is on.- and any time he can spend with
his Aunt Dana on the course is a great day.
2. Basketball- The only sport that he has not complained about ONE time. He is the Baby Shaq
of the team at church.
3. Karate- Goes in spurts. He was real gung ho about it and then it just stopped.
4. Soccer- Dead and Buried for Now- He told a kid who was on the team that he was "retiring"
from soccer. It is okay, we have his reinstatement papers and will file with the
commissioner if he decides to pick the sport up.

Football for now is probably right after Basketball. We shall see. He saw some scenes from Friday Night Lights the movie and he said, "Daddy, when can I do THAT!?"

Later Jack....much later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe HBO will send the Hard Knocks crew out to cover their team after they are done with the Cowboys.