Monday, August 25, 2008

I Am Sorry You Did Not Do Your Job As A Parent

Well today was the first day of school. As first day's go this was one was pretty smooth. My AP and Counselor are new in their positions so their eyes were widened a bit today.

A while back I blogged about some conversations I had with parents regarding the possibility of retention due to the fact that they did not pass the state test and the parents were not responding to my repeated attempts to get them up to a meeting.

Just a reminder.

If a child does not pass the state mandated test they are automatically retained unless the parent repeals the retention. Then a Grade Placement Committee (which the parent is on) reviews the case and makes a decision to either retain or promote with an Accelerated Instruction Plan created for the student by yours truly.

I had a parent approach me this morning and they were upset that their child had a 5th grade schedule and their child was in supposed to be in 6th grade.

At this time I told them that the reason their child was in the 5th grade was for the following reasons.
1. They did not pass the math portion of the state test.
2. It was explained to you at the GPC meeting in May which you attended -showed her her signature on the meeting minutes that the child would need to take the test a third time this summer and that if he did not pass another GPC meeting would be set up to discuss grade placement as long as you appealed the automatic retention from the state.
3. Here is a copy of the letter and testing results that were sent to you on July 28th.
4. You did not attend this meeting.
5. You did not call this school to explain why you chose to not attend.
6. You did not return any of the three phone calls placed to you home trying get you to attend a make up meeting.
7. You were notified by mail that there would be another meeting scheduled.
8. In said letter it is noted in bold italic letters that failure to attend the meeting or appeal the automatic retention would result in the retention of your child.
9. You signed that you received the letter- I sent it certified..HA!
10. You did not attend the meeting AGAIN and did not return any of my calls.
11. The timeline from the state has passed therefore there is nothing I can do. And quite frankly Mrs........ to this point even if I could I would not at this point. We have gone over and beyond trying to get a response from you and we have received nothing on your end. There is nothing I can do to help you. I wish there was. Unfortunately, now your child will be in 5th grade again.

Sucks to be you. Now you have to look at your kid and say...because I did not do my job as a parent you have to suffer. I feel no remorse for this parent all. Cold...maybe but at some point you have to be held accountable.

No comments: