Friday, August 15, 2008

Hey What Do You Expect? I am just his parent!

I am the principal of a school that has an SSI (School Success Initiative) grade level in it. I don't want to go into all of the details but there are certain test the kids must pass to go on to the next grade level according to the state. Now the state puts in certain loop holes that allows us as educators to consider promotion if a child does not pass the test. First the state gives the kid 3times to take the test to pass. If they can't pass they are automatically retained.

UNLESS

The parent fills out an appeal form, provided by me, so that the grade placement committee can decide if we need to retain or promote. Well if the parent appeals we already know their vote...duh

But we consider many things

Grades- Some kids do well on grades but freak out on standardized test.
History- Has the kid been retained before?
Age- I promoted one last week because if I did not he would be driving ...yes DRIVING to 7th grade. I swear I am not making that up.
Size-Development of the child.
Did the kid pass the other test?

All the parent has to do is check a box...sign the form and return it to me.

I set up meetings and notified parents July 28th. Considering I got the information from the state Friday afternoon the 25th I thought that was good....I worked all weekend but I got it done. I set the meeting up for August 4th....this gives time for the mail to run and parents to plan.

I had a few not show up....no phone call to the school...no return phone call when I left messages...NOTHING.

Now I COULD have said....SCREW IT....KID RETAINED....but that would be punishing the kid for a deadbeat parent.

So I rescheduled the meetings. I sent out letters last week (August 5th) telling these parents that their meeting had been rescheduled and that their new meeting would be August 20th. AND I sent them ANOTHER copy of the appeal form for them to sign. In bold letters on the bottom of my letter I put. ...Failure to complete the parental appeal and attend this meeting will result in the retention of your child. If you cannot attend in person but wish to participate by phone please call me at ..######.

It sound harsh but if you don't appeal it I CAN'T DO ANYTHING TO HELP YOU. STATE LAW KID MUST BE RETAINED.

Here is two phone calls I took today.

Parent- yeah I need to talk to you about you retaining my kid.

Yes Sir

Parent- I want to appeal it but I can't be at that meeting.

Yes Sir I understand all I need from you is the parent appeal letter and we can hold the meeting. Would you like to participate by phone?

Parent- Naw I can't do that my phone is disconnected.

I just paused and let that statement soak in for a moment. Anyone see a problem with that statement?

Ummm Okay sir if you would write on there you give us permission to hold the meeting without you we are good to go.

Okay...that one was pretty good. Wants to appeal but can't seem to find a way to be at a meeting that determines their kids PLACEMENT. I understand some parents are in jobs that if they don't work they don't get paid.

Here is a good one.

Parent- I would like to reschedule my kids grade placement meeting.

I am sorry but your child's meeting has already been rescheduled due to the fact that you were unable to attend the first meeting and were not able to return any of the previous attempts to contact you by mail and phone.

Parent- Yeah I got those messages but I did not have any transportation.

Umm OKAY I am thinking....At what point did you think you might want to contact the school and let them know this. Were you hoping this would just go away?

My real answer- I totally understand Mrs. ....... that is why I rescheduled your meeting for...... because I realize that things come up...cars break down. All I need is for you to fill out that appeal form and you can bring it to the meeting.

Parent- I can't come.

Okay if you would just fax it to me at ##### or you can drop it off at the school office.

Parent: I can't drop it off I have my nephew with me and he is little.

Well I guess you could mail it to us here and we can hope the mail gets to us by the 20th.

Parent-Can you stand out on the curb and I can drive by and hand it off to you so I don't have to get out of the car?

No I am sorry I can't do that. I stepped out of a meeting to take this call and I will be returning at the conclusion of this call.

Parent- SLAMS THE PHONE DOWN.

10 minutes later parent walked into our office with NO KIDS and handed the appeal letter to my secretary.

Look I am sorry you are having to go through this but holy crap! I am not standing out on a curb because you are too lazy to get out of a car! Really, it is amazing the thought process of some people! It does not have to deal with IQ. It's their sense that they are all starring in their own movie and the rest of us or playing bit parts in THEIR MOVIE!!

It's stuff like this that makes me repeat to my self...I love my job...I love my job....I love my job.

No comments: