Sunday, June 29, 2008

Getting My Thoughts Out There

Tonight was the night that I broke it to my parents that I bought a scooter. Really what I bought was an automatic motorcycle but the reaction I have gotten from my family has been less than overwhelming. I knew it would be but I thought I would here SOMETHING positive.

My Wife- My wife has been the most supportive. She does not get why I want a scooter or motorcycle in the first place. She road them as a child a few times and did not like it. She did say that if I wanted it that badly I should go and get it and move on down the road.

My Parents- Are not crazy about it at all. They are concerned about the possibility of an accident.

My sister-in-law- She was just confused. She thought hey ..... what about the motorcycle?

Mother- in - law- I have not heard from yet.

My sister- She likes the bike but she too is concerned. She has not said it but I know she thinks it.

Their Concern- And I admit it has validity- In the past 24 months I have gone through TWO bone marrow transplants. If I were injured would my body be able to handle it? They were okay with me getting a motorcycle 2 or 3 years down the road. Well okay is pushing it. They were more able to handle it.

My Thoughts- This idea has always been in my "one of these days" list of things I would like to have. Well in the past 24 months I have had the opportunity to spend extensive periods of time in the hospital going through chemo wondering if "this is it." Will I get to go home again? Will this work? When you are by yourself for many hours with nothing to do or that you can do other than sit there your mind begins to ask you these tough questions. Then you start the "when I get out of here I am going to....." situations.

So my "One Day" list has been put on the front burner because unlike most people I don't have the piece of mind that "one day" will be 5 to 10 years from now. I won't have that until I am declared cured in 3 to 5 years. I don't want to sit around and do nothing because if I do end up on my death bed I don't want to be laying there thinking of all of the things I wish I had done. It is kind of like Tim McGraw's song LIVE LIKE YOU WERE DYING. Well I am not dying, I am in remission but until I get the green light from my doctors I am living life in a different light than most people.

Today I was riding the scooter with my son and he said, "Dad, I love spending daddy-son time on this scooter and being with you." If I died tomorrow that memory would carry me to meet with God.

Everyone listen and I mean really listen to the song my Tim McGraw. Then put yourself in my shoes. Would you do it? Or would you let this opportunity pass?

1 comment:

The MAN Fan Club said...

Wait until you share that at poker night. You'll have another blog entry.