Tuesday, June 24, 2008

College Graduates and Their Expectations

I want to start off by saying I realize I am talking about a small group of people. In my position each year I interview for open teaching positions. I always run into a few people who are fresh out of college. Every now and then I run across some "kid" who ends up turning us down based on salary. Hey I understand picking one district over another for a difference in salary that you can feel but choosing one district over another for a grand? When you are traveling an extra 30 miles round trip? You are going to blow through that 1.000 dollars in about 3 months there chief!
All districts are pretty close when it comes to starting salaries. What is amazing to me is their expectations of their starting salary. I am wondering if they are told what to expect when they get into the real world. Teacher salaries are not that bad. There is an old wives tale that teachers are not paid well. A new teacher right out of college in my district will make $46,500 next year. I know of a husband and wife that are new to teaching in our district and they are right out of college. Their combined salary next year will be $103,000 dollars. That is pretty darn good. Their "starter" home is pretty impressive.
Before you rag on teacher salaries also think about this. There are no coporate take overs with layoffs...no down sizing with layoffs...they don't close down the district. It is not that bad. Maybe I am being stupid but in the coporate world you may start off a little higher depending on your job but with lay offs and down periods of no work I think you come out ahead being in education. I can't tell you the exact number but there is a HUGE raise in the number of applicants who have been in the business world and now have gone through certification for teaching. I had ONE teaching position open and over 230 applicants. It is getting tough to get a job teaching.

2 comments:

The MAN Fan Club said...

Unless you work in my wife's district they try to get rid of you by switching your assignment at the last minute year after year until you quit.

Pay is good. It's the lack of support and parental abuse that gets to me.

Becca in Texas said...

I have always wondered why teachers complain about pay. I knew I wasnt going to multiply my salary year after year when I took this job. I am so excited just to get the 3% they give us every year. It is a bummer when after 8 years I make only about 6 grand less than the lady next door who has taught 15 years and has her masters.