Thursday, June 4, 2009

The POWER of being THE FIRST BORN!!

The Power of Being Number One!
The school year officially comes to an end for Jack at 3:00 today. Why is this a big deal? Next year he will be going to a new school. He has known about this for a couple of months now and for the most part he is ready to go to his new school. He already knows some students that attend the school and he has some information about the school so he is not going into this school cold turkey.
Tracey wanted to have a meeting with the counselor of the new school to give her some background on Jack. Now I have been on the other end of these meetings as a campus administrator and quite honestly I did not see the need for such a meeting. But Tracey was pretty adamant that this meeting take place a couple of months ago so I let it go. I was hoping that with time she would come around to my line of thinking.
As the time passed we would talk up the new school when it was appropriate. Tracey even took the kids to schools spring carnival. Everything has been progressing well. So I was hoping that the need for a meeting would be dropped. I have no other reason than if I can get out of having to sit in an hour long meeting why not right?
Well Tracey mentioned about two weeks ago that she was setting up the meeting and needed to know the time and date that would work best for me. DANG! Was my first thought. Why was Tracey so adamant about having this meeting? Jack is doing fine. So I gave her what worked best for me and the meeting was set.
The day of the meeting comes and I am reminded that of the time and place. The time comes for me to leave and as I am pulling out of the parking lot I call Tracey to let her know I am on my way. In our conversation I make the following statement:
Me- Hey, can you tell me again why we are even doing this?
Tracey:- What do you mean?
Me: I mean why are we even having this meeting?
Tracey: We are meeting to give the counselor information about Jack and information about your health history and how that affects Jack.
Me: And you think this is necessary? Isn’t Jack doing fine?
Tracey: (Pause and silence)
Me: (Realizing that sounded really bad quickly blurted out) Okay, I will see you in a few minutes.

Well we get there and we are about 10 minutes into the meeting and I am sitting there being the silent participant mainly and letting Tracey do the talking. Then I pipe in with some information and I look over and Tracey is starting to cry. Then she says this:
Tracey: I know my Jack. Because of his size people often mistake him for a child that is older. But the fact of the matter is he is an 8 year old boy and he is MY first child. He is MY baby and I worry.
THIS IS WHY WE ARE HERE!!! Sure we are here to give information about Jack but the real reason we are here is for MOMMY!! A… HA!!
I have to admit the meeting was beneficial for everyone involved but we left the meeting and I could tell it was like a weight being dumped off of Tracey.
The POWER of being the first born child I guess I underestimated.

1 comment: