Sunday, June 7, 2009

The Dark Lord Dance Company

The name of the dance company shall remain nameless. Most of what I am going to talk about are the observations that I have had over the past 3 years as Caroline has visited this dance company.

When Csroline began Dance and Tap a few years ago I was pretty shocked by the sticker price of doing business. But then again Jack's golf is not exactly cheap so I went with it.

Cost- The initial start up can get pretty expensive. Dance shoes, ballet shoes, a couple different dance outfits for practice. It gets up there quickly. Family and friends helped offset the cost by getting Caroline dance wear at Christmas and birthdays. The cost of the lessons is pretty surprising to me. Again, not knowing any different I went along with it thinking that this must be the price for DOIN' BIDNESS.

Business Atmosphere- There are no chairs in this place for you to sit in while you wait for your child to get out of class. There are only long benches with no backing to them. If I had to guess the age of the benches I could not tell you without using CARBON DATING!! Not comfortable!

Air Conditioning- This is a foreign concept to the Dark Lord. Usually you just sit there and sweat like you are in one of Kathy Lee Gifford's child work shops. I thought this was just a random occurrence but it seems that they either don't believe in air conditioning or the Dark Lord is too cheap to turn it on.

Recital- Tickets were I believe around 5 dollars this year. Down from 25 last year. Much better deal. However, why the hell am I being charged anything for the recital? The recital is for the PARENTS to SEE what they have been working on all year. You are paid WELL by us each month. WAY MORE than other dance companies who provide their recital for free in the same place you do it. That is like parents paying for private lessons in band and then CHARGING to see them perform a concert. Or in school your kid is in choir and we are going to charge you to come hear the choir. WTH.

Finished Product- With the little ones it was exactly what I expected....they are so cute and sure they are off but who cares?

Now the older participants....What the heck have ya ll been working on since Christmas. Spacing was off..they look around at each other as if to say...what are we doing? Now when I say older I mean high school age.Some of these girls are even in the high school drill team....(you want to talk about precision) and they are running around the stage with an occasional leap into the air...as if to say....I don't know what comes next so 1.2..3...what the hell..LLLEEEAAAPPPP..and land...now what...oh yeah...ROLE ON THE FLOOR.......I am just saying I was in band in high school. During marching season we were a finely tuned machine. You knew not only what you were doing but I was expected to know what others were doing as well. With what we invest I would expect a bit more of a polished finished product from the older kids.

I would like to say the oldest group of ballerina's were GREAT!
The Adult group is always GREAT
The African American young man who danced last night was AWESOME

Choreography- Rolling around on the floor seems to be a big player in whoever plans the dance moves of the older kids.- NOTE TO CHOREOGRAPHER= IF YOU HAVE A BIG BOY WHO HAS A HARD TIME GETTING UP YOU MIGHT NOT WANT TO HAVE HIS DANCE GROUP TRY THAT MOVE FIVE TIMES IN ONE DANCE...JUST SAYING

I am glad to say that we are leaving The Dark Lord Dance Company. We (along with a few others) are moving to a dance company right across the street from my old high school. Nice sitting area for parents....along with air conditioning and heating. The cost is 40% LESS and the recital is FREE

Good Bye Darth Sandra...I am glad to be moving on.

1 comment:

The MAN Fan Club said...

It pays to shop around.