Sunday, June 7, 2009

A Family Secret is DISCOVERED- A Night To Remember Part III


So last night we are all sitting in the audiance watching Caroline and the other dancers perform. Jack is in his Pa's (my dad) hip pocket. He wants to sit by his Pa and be with him constantly. If Pa got up from his chair Jack was right there with him. This was really cute to watch because Jack is a MINI ME of my dad. He is built just like my dad. During intermission my dad got up to go out into the foyer to get a break from sitting in the auditorium chairs. Jack did not notice that PA got up because he was talking to Tracey during the intermission. When they wrapped up their conversation he looked over and saw that PA was gone. He paniced a bit and looked over at Tracey....Where is PA?!? He is stretching his legs. Was Tracey's reply. Jack got up and went into the foyer looking for my dad. He came back and he was a bit worried. He told Tracey "I can't find Pa!" So Tracey got up and said, "Well I will help you find him." Maybe he is in the restroom? Was Tracey's thought. They go to the foyer and Jack sees my dad outside with his back to them. Jack RUNS outside and yells PA!! As my dad turns around. Tracey is thinking OH NO!!!!

Jack sees my dad put out a cigarette QUICKLY!! Jacks world has just had a MAJOR event take place.

Jack turns around and runs off back down to our seats. Tracey is right behind him walking briskly as if trying to catch him. Jack gets our seats and says with loud authority...

HOW LONG HAS PA BEEN SMOKING????

Oh Shhh.... was my thought.

Everyone is stunned and noone really knows how to answer that question...

JACK- SO IS ANYONE GOING TO ANSWER THAT QUESTION???

Tracey catches up and says quietly....By the time I saw you dad Jack was already running up to him.

You see we have never told our kids that my dad smokes. Dad NEVER smokes around them and he only smokes when he is outside. When he is around me he does not smoke in the car even. He waits until we get somewhere and he gets out of the car.

Another reason we were not telling Jack is he knows CANCER kills people. He knows that I have had CANCER and that I am in remission. He knows through his schooling in HEALTH that cigarettes cause CANCER. AND JACK IS A WORRIER. There are two men in this world that Jack loves more than anyone. Me and HIS PA!! If PA says something it is LAW!!! End of story.

For the rest of the night Jack was GRILLING my dad about his smoking.
Pa- Promise me you will quit smoking please.
Do you know Pa that smoking causes CANCER ?
Did you know that CANCER can KILL you?
Why would you smoke anything if you know it can kill you?

Then there were the questions for Tracey and I...
Why would Pa smoke if he knows it can kill him. I don't get it.
Is Pa going to die soon?
What if Pa gets sick?
I am worried about Pa's health.

Tracey is doing her best to answer all of these questions during the recital but at the same time she is doing her best not to just start balling!!

Maybe THIS is what my did needs to get off of cigarettes and onto the gum.

Everyone please pray for Big Jack. He is truly worried about his PA. Hopefully we can get through this soon.

1 comment:

The MAN Fan Club said...

Bummer. My kids know that grandpa smokes. A friend of ours doesn't smoke around his child.