Monday, June 29, 2009

Define Physically Handicapped Please

I do not follow the perfect diet by any means. I will say that I follow a more healthy diet after going through my cancer treatments. But an angel I am not. Having said that I have been observant of the diets of other people.
This past week I was in Austin with some fellow teachers and we all went out to eat each evening. On one evening we were out one of the teachers made mention that I eat like a bird. For whatever reason after going through my cancer treatments I can’t eat near as much as I could a couple of years ago…hence the maintaining of my weight loss.
So back to my topic of diet and overweight people. I went to the local QT this morning to pick up my 49 cent diet cola of my choice. It just so happen that the four people in front of me were HUGE. Like dear lord huge. It is 7:15-7:30 range. Here is what they were having for breakfast
Person One- Two Taquito’s (sp)
One Banana – healthy choice…
44oz Cola (could be diet)
1 chocolate milk
1 Regular Milk- Whole Milk
Person Two- 44 oz Drink is there a pattern here?
2 Hot Dogs- With six packets of Mayo- WTH?? Mayo on a hot dog?
1 Hostess Fruit pie
1 Hostess Ding Dong Package
Person Three- 44 oz Drink- Must be a club or something
4 hotdogs- Jalapeno variety- They are going to be fun to be around when those babies hit.
1 Serving of Nacho’s with the chili cheese already on the chips
1 ham and cheese sandwich from the heat lamp
So on person three I am confused…where are they going to go for lunch. I thought the hotdogs but then what about the nacho selection….already with the sauce on there those are going to have to be eaten pretty quickly. So then that would mean the FOUR hotdogs would be lunch…but where does the ham and cheese sandwich come in? Snack?


Person Four- 32oz drink….WOW they are cutting back!
4 Taquito’s- I guess they had to have one of every kind.
1 Ham Egg and Cheese Sandwich
1 Sausage Egg and Cheese Sandwich
1 Hostess Fruit Pie- Cherry (ah my personal favorite)

Here is another interesting note. Of these four VERY LARGE PEOPLE…THREE of them were parked in the handicapped parking. Why does this bother me? Because these people did not appear to be hindered in ANY WAY while making it to their vehicles. They walked right to their car and got in. I will admit that it took them a while to get into their car with all of their food purchases and adjusting of the seat and steering wheel. NOT E TO SELF…WHEN YOU HAVE TO MOVE THE STEERING WHEEL ALL THE WAY UP TO GET OUT??? YOU ARE TOO BIG. Are these not the people that need to walk the farthest to their vehicle?
Don’t get me wrong…I don’t hate fat people. I have a few in my family. But when did fat become a handicap? If they had a limp or a cane or SOMETHING I might understand. But these people walked right to their car and got in with the handicap sticker hanging from their rear view mirror. WTH? My father in law is handicapped. He has a scooter and everything.
I would have LOVED to have a handicapped sticker when I was going through cancer treatments. I was doing everything I could to make it to the door of the store I was going to. But I did it. Sometimes even dragging my chemo bag in a suitcase with me. Sometimes I had to sit down in the deli and rest for a few minutes so I could make my way around the store. But I did it. Why? Because my kids needed milk or my wife needed something for work and I was well enough to do it. Now if you are SO BIG that physically you cannot do it I understand. But if you can make it to your car with your truck load of food with no problem then do what is right and get rid of your handicap sticker so that someone who REALLY is handicapped can use it.

Before you start zinging me with hate mail just hold on.
Finally, let’s assume that something IS wrong with them and they have a “condition” that makes their body not process foods correctly…… Are any of these four people doing anything to HELP their condition??? Read over their food selections again….out of all of that crap they are eating I only saw ONE fruit…ONE BANANA…THAT’S IT…ONE…. FREAKING…..BANANA….fruit PIES DO NOT COUNT….
I WAS considered obese prior to my cancer. Then I started following a healthier diet…got some exercise….lost weight.
All I am saying is TRY TO HELP YOURSELF…if I have a sprained knee and the doctor tells me to stay off of it am I going to go out and play some basketball? Probably not. Why? Because that pounding is not good on my hurt knee.
I am just saying…… If you are in a handicap space because you are WAY OVERWEIGHT…then do something about it. You are paying TOO HIGH OF A PRICE to be able park close my friend.
JDHTEACH

2 comments:

Smeanie said...

Well said JH...in my family we consider people who are overweight as puffy people. I also get a bit steamed under the collar when people don't display a physical handicap however display the blue plastic tag on there rear view mirror!

unt grad said...

Assuming they have some sort of disability that we cannot see, like say diabetes, they shouldn't be buying what they're buying to eat. They should be taking care of themselves. If they don't, that doesn't constitute a disabililty that should be given a sticker for. I understand people will make that choice to not take care of themselves, but then they shouldn't be taking spots from people who are diabetic and taking care of themselves, however they need to park closer.