Tuesday, May 6, 2008

SUPPORTING TEACHERS PART II

If you have not read the post below this one please do.


You know because I handle these problem situations with teachers I have a lot of respect from teachers. I know this because they feel comfortable coming and talking to me when they do screw up a little.

They will catch me in the hall during passing period or come find me during their planning period or before or after school and this is what I hear
. I might have screwed up a little and you could be getting a phone call.

Well OKAY!!! Let's talk about it and see what we can do.

You see it is just like when a kid makes a mistake in your classroom. Discipline time is the MOST effective time to TEACH a kid how to do better. You might not knock out the habit all at once but if you cut it down from 5 times to 3 times that is making improvement.

It's the same concept when coaching teachers through those rough times. Even if they did in fact mess up I love coaching them through the thought process.....helping them with what to say....and what NOT to say. After going through this a couple times MOST of the time teachers get it.

Eventually this is what I hear. "I screwed up and you might get a phone call about ..... but I am on it."

That is music to my ears. That teacher has GROWN as a teacher and I know that I have had a small part in growing that teacher and making them better at what they do.

No comments: