Friday, May 23, 2008

I am STUNNED by this teacher

Okay, I had my parent teacher conference with Jack's teacher. It did not go well. The teacher conference time is 45 minutes. I knew I was up against it because she only gave me 30 minutes of her time.

I come in and thank her for her time and her body language is horrible. I tell she is mad because she won't even look at me. I fight through that and ask my questions regarding Jack's grades. She is very helpful but again won't look at me. She then tells me she just has to get this off her chest but that she found my email questioning her integrity.

DING- ROUND 1- Taken back by this I listened to her and I apologized if I came across this way. She smiled and thanked me. What she found questioning her "integrity" if I shared with you you would find was just asking a question trying to understand what Jack was doing to get out of work in her class so that I could nip it.

ROUND 2- I ask her a question trying to understand her classroom process so I can see how Jack is getting around her system. I shut up and let her talk for about 7 minutes while she explains her "wonderful" teaching technique. When I ask her a follow up question that when she answers shows a GLARING hole in how she holds the kids accountable {and best of all she realized it as soon as she said it,) I asked the following question: So what can we do to make sure Jack has completed the assignment other than looking up and seeing he is in centers and assuming he has done his work when we have already established that he has had a history of putting the "boring" worksheet away and going to the fun centers.

Her answer? Well I could have him show me his work. My answer? SOUNDS LIKE A PLAN....(duh) I thought.

Well her answer to that was that she has been doing this a long time and that is how she will continue to run the classroom as best she see's fit.

My answer to that? Mrs........ I have been doing this for a while myself and one thing I pride myself on is that I continue to improve and "GROW" each year and never assume that just because I have always done something one way does not mean that it is the best way.

You could see her just shake.

She then told me that I needed to be careful because I did not want Jack to become the child that nobody wanted.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

I could not believe she said that to a parent. If I were her principal and I found out a teacher said that to a parent.....oh my GOD!!!

She was pissed so I did not say anything. I thanked her for her time and left.

I did however call the Principal and let her know what she said. I told the whole story to the principal and was honest in that there was fault all around. I was at fault for "offending" the teacher in an email. I should have called so that she could hear my voice and tone. I apologized multiple times for this during the meeting and told the principal that. I also said that I found her comment to me about Jack totally unacceptable and that while I felt an apology was in order I did not expect from Mrs....... because she cannot see that she is at fault for anything. (After all she has been doing this for more than 15 years. AND EVERYONE KNOWS THAT AFTER YOU ARE IN A JOB FOR MORE THAN 10 YEARS YOU DON'T MAKE MISTAKES.)

The principal totally agreed with me obviously and apologized and ensured me she would talk to Mrs..........

Well are you ready for this??

Mrs. ..... called me this afternoon and TOTALLY FREAKING DENIED SHE EVER SAID THAT!! I WAS FREAKING STUNNED!! I told her um...yeah Mrs...... you did. I know this because I was so STUNNED you would say that to a parent. She again said...no I never said anything like that.

I cannot believe this woman cannot freaking APOLOGIZE for ANYTHING!!!!

I just paused and said....Amazing Mrs..... Well, we are going to agree to disagree and move on. I thanked her for her time and hung up.

I spoke with the principal and told what she did. WHY WOULD I MAKE WHAT SHE SAID UP???? I told her principal she got her Ox caught in a ditch and she is embarrassed and scared and she is trying to cover her tracks.

Unbelievable.....two more ....just two more weeks.

1 comment:

Tony Rosenberg said...

I'm not stunned by those comments at all. That's one of the many reasons we homeschool :)