Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Message to Parents- KIDS LIE

I get a chuckle when parents want to argue about how their child is treated up at school. The parent will get finished telling this wild story about how their child was treated by the teacher or Assistant Principal and I usually pause when they are finished. I do that so they can let that story sink in and see if they hear how CRAZY this sounds. Usually what happens is when you give them the facts and show them the information we as a school had when making our decision they turn red with embarrassment and you know that some little child is not going to have a good evening.

There are some parents though that will tell you this MYTH of all Myth's

MY CHILD DOES NOT LIE.

I got news for you CHIEF!!!! All kids lie when they are trying to cover up their tracks. They would rather try to turn it around on the school. It's called TRYING TO SAVE MY BUTT.
Like I have mentioned before educators are not perfect and they will make mistakes but when you hear some of these stories you know that the teacher would have to be an idiot to do something like this and that the kid is either twisting the story in their favor or in some instances completely making it up.

Heck I remember doing it when I was a kid. I was a pretty good kid in school but I did get a few detentions here and there my 6th grade year. One week those suckers seemed to just FIND me. In each case I deserved it. I remember trying to figure out a way to where either it appeared I did not deserve it or it was watered down my exact involvement. When I say watered down I mean so much so that instead of being the ring leader I was the one who just happened to be walking by and the teacher nailed all of us....that much watered down. Hey while you are at bat you might as well try for a homerun right?

My dad was hilarious. He would sit there very patiently and listen to my story. He would then say this....

Okay, I am going to call the school and speak with the teacher. You know you are in trouble at home because you got in trouble at school this is a given. What you need to understand is that if the teachers story does not match your story the trouble you are going to be in will be MULTIPLIED.

From there I realized I was totally screwed and just came clean.

Why this is a hard concept for some parents to grasp is beyond me. At what point did the parents swing their thought process into the thinking that their child does no wrong? I mean seriously...what year did this happen? When I was a kid that was NOT the thought process.

I did find out that if I did screw up and did get a detention it was much easier just to say...YEP THAT PRETTY MUCH IS WHAT I DID. Life was much easier.

1 comment:

The MAN Fan Club said...

I had a student get written up in a specials class. The child comes back today and says, "My parent isn't going to sign that write up." I guess that would be the same as refusing to take a breathilizer test even though it is obvious you have been drinking way too much. Denile.