Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Why I Hate Public Restrooms

If you get grossed out about this topic do not read any further.
As you can tell from the title of this post I am going to be hitting on a topic that I think everyone is aware of but very rarely addresses publicly. When discussing the public restroom there are multiple rules that you need to follow. Some are no brainers for guys. (One urinal must be between you and the other guy if at all possible.)
I work in a school and the faculty bathroom is literally on the other side of the building. So I have to plan accordingly. Sometimes you can’t avoid it. The other day I am in the stall taking care of business when I hear a student enter the stall next to me. GREAT!! An audience is here now. As I am sitting there this kid starts to let LOOSE. By the sounds that were coming from the next stall my immediate thought was this must be a guy with a stomach ulcer who just had a swim by the all you can eat Mexican buffet at Ponchos. I could not believe this was coming from a kid! I thought this kid was WAY TO YOUNG to have this kind of problem. Clearly he needs to address his diet.
So my immediate thought was to get out of there NOW!! As I am leaving the stall and heading for the sink to wash my hands this kid starts to wrap things up. Then this happens.
We are both at the sink washing our hands at the communal hand washing station. I am trying very hard not to make eye contact and the kid is doing the same. Apparently he did not know anyone else was in there. To say there was awkwardness in the air would be an understatement. We both left the restroom without saying a word.
Isn’t there a rule about letting loose in the public restroom or am I dreaming it?

No comments: