Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Did I miss it?

I learned today that the principal of our Junior High principal is retiring. This guy is awesome! He has been recognized as an outstanding educator at both the state and national level. He has been in the education business for 29 years! When I was a campus administrator I often picked his brain. I am really going to miss not only his knowledge but his humor. He has a knack for telling a joke and you don’t realize he is joking until he gets to the punch line.
I have mixed thoughts about this for other reasons. Part of me thinks “DANG” I missed an opportunity here. I have had talks with my superintendant in the past that I would be interested in the Junior High job if it ever came open. Not that I stood a chance if I ran against someone like the current principal but I would like to at least come in and talk about it. If after the conversation it was determined I was not ready FINE! Interviews with my superintendant are a conversation. I have never felt more comfortable in an interview.
Obviously at this point I am not in the race. With me recovering from a bout of ECOLI and pneumonia it will be at least Christmas before I am back to pre-bout energy and strength levels. Add to that I am recovering from Leukemia. The long hours it takes to be a principal I cannot do day in and day out.
So my first thought was DANG! Then I got to thinking about it and I thought….would I even WANT to do that job? True it would be a salary increase for me but at what cost. There are a TON of evening activities to cover. It is a 12 month contract. No extended time off.
There are many things I enjoy being a principal. If done properly it is by far the hardest job in education. Sorry teachers it is. I enjoy working with the kids. I enjoy organizing the school. I enjoy working with the teachers. In general I feel I have a very even keel personality and I am the type of person someone will follow and work well with. I respect other opinions and am not afraid to admit that I am wrong.
Right now is not a fun time to be a principal. Everyone is tired (kids and teachers) subs don’t even want to come in. You are starting to have to plan for next year and are in meetings discussing said topic when all you are trying to do is close down this year. At this time of year there are some LONG LONG days for principals. I remember last year going quite a few days without seeing my kids awake.
So I don’t think I really miss it right now. I lose energy just thinking about it. Never say never though. You never know. I might dip my toe back in that pool some day.

2 comments:

unt grad said...

Yes, but I remember you saying, "Just wait until after school starts, things will slow down." Then "after school starts" became "Winter Break", then "After TAKS", then "summer vacation." Then it was "after school" again. I also remember your leukemia came back soon after the stress came back. I know that probably doesn't have a darn bit to do with it, but still it's like getting sick after having lunch with my family after Caroline was born. I thought it was a specific food, but in reality it was the wine. I still can't eat that particular food because of the association. I would be content to cut back on things and have you around, rather than have the bigger salary, be married yet appear as if I'm a single mom.

Leon said...

That water is cold JDH, better put on some waders first. And a LIFE JACKET!