Thursday, May 14, 2009

Maggie the Guard Dog Reporting For Duty...SIR!

Maggie is our 2 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback that Tracey rescued from an animal shelter 2 years ago. She is a big girl in that she is tall and she weighs I think somewhere around 90 pounds but she is a sweetheart. Because of her size people who don’t know her are very careful around her and we consider this a good thing.
At night Maggie has free roaming privileges in the house. Here lately she has chosen to sleep in our room on the floor by Tracey. If you get up for any reason she will usually follow you to your destination then return with you to the bed. Once you get covered up pet Maggie on the head and scratch her ear. She will then return to her bed and go back to sleep.
The other night we were getting ready for bed and Maggie was not in our room. I asked Tracey where Maggie was and I was informed that she was probably with Caroline. They have really been bonding lately but that is another post. I knew Caroline was going to sleep on the couch that evening so I went into the den and sure enough there was Maggie. Caroline was almost asleep but not quite. Maggie was sitting up in front of the couch. As I walked through the den Maggie never moved from her spot. She followed me with her eyes but that was it. It was almost like one of those British guards that never move!
Some time during the middle of the night I got up to get a drink. As I entered the den there was Maggie. Still in front of Caroline but she was now lying on the floor. I did notice she was awake and was following me with her eyes but again she did not move!
If you got into our house you were not going to get to Caroline without somehow getting through Maggie.
The next morning Tracey went through the den and she started laughing. You walk into the den and there is Caroline and Maggie asleep. Sometime in the middle of the night however they switched positions. Caroline was on the floor asleep and Maggie was ON THE COUCH asleep! A major NO for Maggie but it was so cute we let it pass.
Maggie the Guard Dog- Reporting for DUTY!

No comments: