Friday, February 20, 2009

Now THAT is S-E-R-V-I-C-E

Tracey went to run a small errand the other night and when she comes into the house she says this:
Honey, would you please come listen to my car?
My thought was oh man. This can’t be good. Sure enough when she accelerates up the drive way and into the garage the car starts knocking like it is a diesel engine. The car is a Cadillac SRX. We bought it used almost a year ago and we absolutely love it. We knew that the factory warranty was out on it but we bought an extended warranty when we bought the vehicle.
My sister also has a Cadillac and she has all her stuff done at Massey Cadillac in Garland off of Jupiter and LBJ. She game me the name and number of service guy because he does take care of her. So I call the guy and he is with another customer but I leave my information for him to contact me. I never got a call yesterday. In addition to that my wife comes home and says now the car is hesitating of start up and braking in addition to knocking. This is getting serious. So I contacted the dealership this morning and I got a hold of the gentleman my sister uses. I was telling him what was happening and he starts telling about they will have to look at my extended warranty and call the company to see what all they cover. My thought was oh here we go. I am going to walk out of here with a bill around 800 dollars. He assured me that everything they could do would be done and for me to relax.
So I got Tracey’s car and off to the dealership I go. I drive in and it is knocking like a MACK TRUCK. The service guy I have talking with came out and said, “You must be Mr. JDHTEACH.” How could you tell? He said, I bet this thing is low on oil. My thought was that there was no oil light? My sister in law drove the car to Austin last weekend and had no problems. What the heck? Sure enough he dips the dip stick 3 times and no oil is registering on the dip stick. So he takes it into the service area puts about 2 quarts of oil into the engine and off we go. NO KNOCKING! He does however notice about 7 things that the car is doing that I would have no clue about but that he knows because he lives with those cars. I thought oh boy here we go. 900 bucks down the drain. We go into the his little work area and I have my paperwork out ready to go. He tells me to put that stuff away. He then takes the key chain off of my key and he told me to go pick out a key chain I like. I picked it he took it out and put in on my keys. He now your keys look good. He lays out all of these items he is going to do to Tracey’s car… including inspection and oil change. Then he lays this on me.
PUT YOUR PAPERWORK AWAY. I AM DOING ALL THIS MAINTENANCE STUFF TO TAKE CARE OF YOU. IF I RUN INTO ANY MAJOR I WILL CALL YOU AND WE DEAL WITH THE WARRANTY STUFF.
HOT DAM!! Was my response.
Their inspection of the body found 6 minor dents in the body that they want to pop out and repaint if needed for $125. DONE! I get my bill and as of right now I am having all of this stuff done for $206 dollars. That’s with the 125 dollar dent repair.
He told me they were bringing up my loner now and that my car will be ready MAYBE tomorrow but definitely some time MONDAY. As the loner car was being pulled up I saw it and he asked me if a fully loaded 2009 CTS would be okay. My jaw hit the floor. I just looked him and said TAKE YOUR TIME! MONDAY works for me.
So if you are in the market for a new or used Cadillac or if you are looking for a place for maintenance my suggestion would be to go to MASSEY CADILLAC in Garland. My next Cadillac will definitely come from here.

4 comments:

MJP & SJP said...

I think that's pretty typical of Cadilliac. My Dad had a couple back in the 80's and I remember he was always treated like a king when he brought his car in.

The MAN Fan Club said...

Wow. Definitely give us the update. Still waiting for the other shoe to drop. I may need them to pop out dings in my truck before I turn it in on lease next year.

JDHTEACH said...

I got out of their with the bill being a bit higher because their were some maintenance items that had never been done to vehicle. It added a couple 100 to the bill but I did not care. He did about 600 in additional work and did not charge me a dime and the car is where it needs to be maintenance wise. Now I KNOW what has been done and feel great.

Unknown said...

Low on OIL?? Dude, do you not change it like you should? If you don't you better start! I'm assuming you don't change it yourself, so if you have been taking it somewhere & having it done, then you either have a serious problem with your engine burning oil or you have an oil change place that really isn't changing your oil!

But with a regular oil change of every 3-5 thousand miles & you should NOT be running out or really even low on oil...