Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Comfort Food and Other Observations

Well I am back at work today. It could be that I am only here for part of the day. I have a follow up visit with the doctors today after getting out of the hospital Saturday.
My observations so far!
Good Things So Far? No fevers for 48 hours and stability is good.
Things That Are Coming Back S-L-O-W-L-Y ENERGY LEVEL!
I walked from the parking lot to my desk this morning and was wended. Same thing happen when I got up and walked to the front office. I think the energy level is going to take a while to get back. Good news is on my plate this week is a lot of paperwork or desk duty so I don’t have to get up and move a whole lot.
I did get out and drive yesterday just to get out of the house. I noticed this morning however that my freeway driving needs to be brought to par. Clearly while I was out they raised the speed limits on the toll ways to 75mph. I say that because that is what I had to run to keep people from running up on my car and changing lanes aggressively. I guess people are just going to play the odds. Texas Highway Patrol pull people over all the time. I see probably at least two a day not to mention all of DO RIGHT BOYS you see just sitting there. I know they are looking for big fish because I have passed them doing 70+ and they never moved. Just my observation but it seems if you drive a LEXUS anything or a BMW anything you clearly are following a different speed limit than the rest of us on the toll way. I am still looking for the speed MINIMUM sign that says 80MPH.
Thank God For My Mothers Cooking- Tracey of course has been doing everything so cooking (which is largely my responsibility ) is just too much to put on Tracey’s plate. My parents know that I don’t eat much while I am in the hospital. To get better I have to eat so mom pulled out two of her BIG GUNS on me to entice me to eat.
1. Chicken Spaghetti- Spaghetti, chicken, cream of mushroom soup, onions, green chili’s , and green bell pepper finely chopped. This is my favorite recipe of my mothers. I honestly can eat that till I am about to bust. Mom made a huge dish of it for dinner for the family for Sunday night. Tracey and the kids went to go have dinner with some friends. Just in case she made me a small dish and wrapped it up. I can’t believe it but just knowing that was in the fridge got me out of bed and with a CANE I made it to the kitchen and warmed up the dish. I ATE THE WHOLE BOWL. It was the most food that I had eaten in five days at one sitting and the most food I had eaten total in about 3 days.
2. Cherokee Casserole- Ground Hamburger meat, macaroni, Velveeta cheese, onion and oregano. This is a little part of heaven. It is not expensive to make at all and it can feed a lot of people. In college this was on the regular rotation of home cooking that I would bring back to the dorm and the apartment. (I do need to mention that other favorites that fell into this category were my grandfathers deer chili and MJP’s mothers version of PIZZA)
Best thing about it is my kids like it as well so they usually eat well.
3. Other dishes that some of my favorites from mom? Lasagna, Cheesy Potato soup, Corn Chowder, Deep dish pizza.
Edit Note- I made Lasagna for the first time a few weeks ago using my mom’s recipe and my dad said- There are now two forms of this I love. Your mothers and yours ain’t shabby at all.
What are some of your comfort foods?

7 comments:

unt grad said...

Bean pie. My Granny used to make it when we would go visit and I loved it! Unfortunately I never got the recipe from her.

Mo said...

Tuna noodle casserole, but only if my mother makes it. With peas. Gross, but I love it!

And my grandma's mostaccoli - yummo!

Leon said...

beer and kraut dog

Leon said...

beer and kraut dog

Shari B said...

Mac n cheese.

MJP & SJP said...

It was always great when your mom would send some of the Chicken Spaghetti back with us to school. Damn, that was some good eating!

The MAN Fan Club said...

You need to bust out one of those meals on a poker night. Looking for someone to host Friday March 6th possibly.