Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Apathy sets In

I have been thinking this over and I am going to a little less “into” the Dallas Cowboys for a while. I have just grown so frustrated with their organization and their lack or guts to do what needs to be done that apathy has set in for me towards the team. Please don’t get me wrong. I am still going to cheer for the team and I will watch them when they are playing but I am done with putting all of my eggs in their basket. As I have blogged late last week this team lacks an identity. They need to grab their QB by the neck and tell him what he is going to do in the off-season and ANYONE who is not a team FIRST person needs to be dropped from the team. PACMAN which is a no brainer but TO you gone! And the fines for being late to meetings need to be meaningful and HIT WHERE IT FREEKING HURTS. 100 dollars for being late…Please that is a buck to you and me. This coaching staff is a joke because they have no power.
I pointed out how to fix all of this. But until JJ gets on the page none of this is going to happen. So nothing is going to change on the field. So why should I expect anything different then what I am seeing on the field. Week after week it is the same thing. A bunch of talented players that will beat some teams just based on talent. But when they hit a team that has similar to equal talent and THEY ARE A TEAM…they get exposed. And get your butt off of reality TV and into the film room. Do you not realize how much people resent seeing you get so much publicity for doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!! You have not won a playoff game in 12 YEARS!!! This is a freaking embarrassment.
And the owner refuses to bring in ANYONE for GM. So I am done with it. If they won’t fix the problem nothing is going to change. So you can expect 9-7 or 8-8 next year. Go ahead…knock yourself out. I will cheer and hope for a miracle but sure as heck am not expecting anything.
So what am I going to do? Well I remember back in the late 80’s and early 90’s Cowboy teams that you knew where going to lose (1-15) but you could see there was a plan. You see that here was a group of players that would do anything to WIN. There was no question of who the boss was. He left his star wide receiver in Dallas because he was not at the airport when he was supposed to be. When that player did get to where the team was he fined heavily and benched for part of the game. In another instance the team played poorly and the coach was pissed. So he did not let the players eat or drink anything on the plane ride home. Even when the team got good the star qb who just won his second straight super bowl had to ride back to the hotel with the media guys because he missed the team bus. Never mind that he missed the bus because he was being nice and answering reporters question. When the bus is supposed to leave it leaves. If you are not on it your butt gets left behind. No matter who you are. But even those super bowl teams you knew they were doing whatever they needed to do to win games. PERIOD.
So I am going to spend my offseason looking at a second team to cheer for. I might even go out and buy a jersey for that team after I make my choice. I do have criteria this team must meet.
1. Must show that they are willing to do what it takes to win. CUT THE FAT!
2. Record is not an issue. If you were a playoff team for the 08 season fine it does not matter.
3. This team cannot be in the NFC East. Sorry- Cowboys are still my #1 team
4. I know the team will NOT be New England or Pittsburg. I am just not a fan of either of their coaches. Sorry
5. Must be a team that is a TEAM-No individuals who either do or have a history of whining about their situation. You get paid handsomely to have the privilege to do what you do. Shut the hell up and be thankful for all that you have.
Teams off the top of my head that might meet these requirements are as follows: Order does not indicate rank.
New Orleans Saints- Love the coach and the organization but Jeremy Shockey just might knock them out due to criteria #5.
Miami Dolphins- I like the head coach. He was my choice to replace Parcells but we went with Big Chief Tablet carrying Phillips. Definitely an organization that is TEAM first. (On a side note this may be an ideal situation because they are in the AFC and I will have a team to cheer for in each conference)
Houston Texans- I like the coach and the team plays hard. Definitely a team first organization and they are in the AFC.
Cleveland Browns- Definitely interesting team. Have made some commitments and done some things that needed to be done. I will definitely be reading up on this organization. Perhaps one day this team could knock SOME of the cockiness off of Tomlin.
Seattle Seahawks- Interesting team. They have shown to be a team first organization. They don’t fall in love with players. When players need to be moved on (aka Alexander) they get moved on. I am not a fan of their new coach. I think he is a bit of a mental midget (situation that got him fired in Atlanta) but he is a good coach. I am going to have to read up on them.
Indianapolis Colts- Class organization (my opinion) I need to read up on their new coach. I don’t know a whole lot about him. If he has the same temperament as Tony Dungy I am IN!!! Love the attitude of the quarterback. Reminds me of Aikman a lot.

So the way I am looking at this is I have TWO teams to really keep up with instead of one. Cowboys are still #1. But instead of investing all of my football passion into them I will now be sharing that passion.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

the dolphins were my fav back when marino was there.. still kind of follow them & was real happy to see their progress this year.

And I was a big Dungy fan too.. I hope the replacement is a lot like Tony was..

Leon said...

I think the "team" of the future is in Tennessee. They might be top 3 for the last 10 years. What happened to Pac Man while he was there?