Thursday, October 30, 2008

Never say..I wouldn't go back

Last Friday Night Jack got to be recognized as "Ram For A Night" for his elementary school. What this is is all of the feeder schools into the high school that Jack will eventually go to get the opportunity at each home game to recognize one student.

This was a special night because as a family we were treated to a pizza dinner by the school and then the students and a parent or teacher got to go on the field and be recognized over the loud speaker. Jack went out on the field with Tracey and I went along on the field and tried to take pictures on the sideline.

What was kind of neat for me was for the first time in eighteen years I got to get back on the field that I and MJP spent many nights on during high school band. Those were some FUN times. I looked around the stadium and I got to see a lot of improvements that were made to the stadium and see that many of my dad's improvements to the stadium 10 years ago looked great. My son has no idea what his Pa did for a living other that principal. But dad's influence in the RISD is much bigger than that. Dad's last position be in central office as director of maintenance had a lot of influence on the improvement of RISD's aging schools and stadiums. Many of the upgrades to the stadium dad implemented. By looking around the stadium you would be shocked to hear that it was 35 years old.

I have said before that I would not want to GO BACK to any part of my life. I enjoyed each stage but I love where I am. My theory was tested last Friday night.

It was nice to get on the field and look up in the stands and see all the people. This night was for Jack and we made sure to take Lot's of pictures. But just for a second it was nice to watch the band kids, the cheerleaders, and the football team and be right there with them and see how much fun each group was having.

As I was walking back off the field I stopped and glanced back for just a moment and looked up in the stands and I thought....I wish I could do this one more time.

1 comment:

MJP & SJP said...

I read in the paper earlier in the week that the Berkner Marching Band advanced to state in San Antonio next week.