Saturday, October 18, 2008

Emotional Roller Coaster

Sometimes my job is emotionally draining. I have made a commitment to get my school on the right track. I have many new people so I have been putting in many long days the past few weeks plus working at least one day on the weekend to take care of everyone. I would say that when it comes to the teachers and my office staff I am starting to see the fruits of my labor.

During this time Tracey has basically been a single mom. I have been leaving before the sun comes up and getting home sometimes after nine o'clock. I went 3 days without seeing my kids awake. I am putting more preasure on myself because last year we were a recognized campus and I don't want to be a one and done. Through all of this Tracey has not said one word about me needing to cut back the hours because she knows how important this is to me. At the same time I know when we talk she is doing everything she can not to say it.

The thing that really hurts is what I had to do Friday. There is a boy that I had to send to an alternative educational setting for 15 days. The thing that really sucks about this is it is a boy who I have been trying to bond with and have made strides in the right direction. Given the propper home environment he could make it. He is smart but I honestly don't think his mom or step dad give a flip about him. I called them about two weeks ago but the only reason I got ahold of them was because the student knew their number. None of the numbers they gave us work. Well when I tried to call them yesterday the number that did work two weeks ago is no longer in service. If something serious happened to this child we would have no way of being able to get ahold of these people. THAT IS NEGLECT!! PLAIN AND SIMPLE. It pisses me off to no end that here is a kid that could make it but probably will not. Due to the nature of what he did I had to do what I did. I did not have a choice. But here is the situation. I am the only male figure in his life that has shown any kind of interest in his well being. I check his homework every morning. I check to make sure he has all of his stuff when he goes home. And now I am the one that has to send him away. After he left my office yesterday I just felt like I had been punched in the gut. I just sat in my chair with my head in my hands. Sometimes my job is hard.

No comments: