Sunday, September 14, 2008

Who Says Flag Football Is Not Contact?

Yesterday was Jack's first flag football game for second grade students. They went up against a team that is pretty close to them talent wise. When Jack started practicing a couple of weeks ago they told me he was going to be their quarterback. I had a hard time wrapping my mind around that. By looking at Jack you would think....LINEMAN or LINE BACKER. Not qb. Well at yesterday's game who was the CENTER? MY BOY! And who was the MIDDLE LINEBACKER? MY BOY!!

Yesterday was great football weather. We had some rain....cool weather...and wind. Jack LOVED it. With the rain I kind of figured my parents would not come out. I would not blame them. But I was surprised in that they did. Not only that but they stayed for the whole game!

My dad was really watching my son play. He was watching his technique, positioning, everything. You see both me and my dad played football but my dad took it to a whole other level that I never could have reached. My dad does not talk about it much but if you ask him about it you can see the ol' coach get into it. My dad's first job was teaching health and coaching offensive and defensive lineman. He eats it up.

Throughout yesterday's game you could see my dad getting exciting about Jack playing. He was talking to Tracey the entire time. Look at that T-Lady....see what Big Jack did there??? That is just natural...you can't teach that...look how he does his stance.....that is natural....just natural...all of his power is going to be..........

They did do a sweep play yesterday where the offensive lineman pulled and here comes my son rumbling across the field. A kid from the other team gets in Jacks way and Jack steam rolled him. This is a penalty in flag football. Who knew? When Jack saw the kid was hurt he did stop and sit by him until the coach from the other team got to him. The kid was fine he just got a little run over.

I told Tracey on the way home. Well I guess we need to brush up on good line play because it looks like we have another generation of lineman in our family.

1 comment:

Mo said...

Love the blog!! Check mine out at http://thisis38.blogspot.com

:) Martha