Friday, September 5, 2008

I Can't Win

My school is packed. I am not sure what happened but we have about 60 more kids than we were expecting. I can handle it staff wise but if many more come in we are in trouble. I have been busting my tale trying to make this work. I (along with my counselor and PEIMS clerk) have spent HOURS working and reworking our schedule. From all of the late nights I have put in my wife has pretty much been a single mother for a while now.

It finally got to the point where we had to redo the whole thing from scratch. The good news is I got it to work. The bad news. My specials classes have two classes of 30 kids. I have two specials teachers out of the four mad at me and one is getting on my last nerve. Here is what I got to listen to from the one.

I cannot teach my curriculum with 30 kids in a class. My answer? Why can you teach with 28 but not 30? This morning you were thrilled that I got the number down to 30 from 38. Now you can't teach?

Well I request that I not have my PDAS observation during these two periods. My answer? Done! Not a problem.

This is just crap. You say we do whatever is best for kids but that is just a lie! My answer? You need to be careful what you say Mrs.......... IF you are upset I suggest you come back to me when you are calm. I have no problem with you disagreeing with me but you will be respectful.

To you it is more important that I have cafeteria duty than teach art! My answer? Due to the importance of providing the best learning environment in the classroom I have no one else available. WHAT I WANTED TO SAY IS.....No, what is more important to me is that my classroom aides are in the special ed classes helping those kids be successful. Those children are going to be judged on their academic success. Not that they know their facts about art or can color with char coal.

It amazing me how some teachers are not able to look at the BIG picture. It's all about them sometimes.

On the other side I got special little homemade goodies from some teachers expressing their gratitude for all of my hard work.

Loved by some...vilified by others!

The line of the day: One staff member heard this teacher talking to me and her tone and after the teacher left she said this....

Don't worry about it Mr. Jdhteach...some people just need to pull up their Big Girl panties and move on!

I just busted out laughing.

3 comments:

MJP & SJP said...

I think you need to fly the pirate flag outside your office. Maybe it'll make some of them think twice before bitching irrationally
-MJP

Tony Rosenberg said...

My daughter's class has 1 student :) ... with advanced curriculum :)

Good luck with the aides, sir!

The MAN Fan Club said...

I had 28 in my science class. We got an extra teacher and now it is 21, 22, 23 for my 3 classes.

Our PE class has 60 PLUS, with 2 teachers and they have those kids under control. Think.....military.