Thursday, September 11, 2008

SECOND GRADE?!?!?!?!?!?

The students in my school are in the 5th and 6th grade. I have a young man who has a history of being a thorn in the sides of his teachers. I remembered this kid when he was in Kindergarten. He was a toot. In general he just has a chip on his shoulder and has no problem telling you what he thinks. His real dad is in jail and does not have anything to do with him when he is out of jail. His step dad is involved but at this point I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. He was not in the picture last year so I have no point of reference.

These are the kind of kids that I get into! When I was in the classroom I taught at schools with many kids in these type of situations and many times much worse. I love working with these kids and giving them the attention they are seeking in a positive manner. Many times they act out for the attention. They just want attention...good or bad.

Well I saw DJ in the hall yesterday and I came up behind him and said "Hey there Big Man!" He is small in stature.

He said "Hey Mr. Jdhteach"

I squeezed on his neck and noogied the top of his head.

He said," Dang Mr. Jdhteach...that's kind of hard"

I told him that wasn't anything. My son takes a lick twice that and barely flinches. He is about your size DJ how tall are you .....FOUR FOOT SEVEN was the answer I got as he bragged on himself. I said, well you got him on height my son is about four foot six. How much do you weigh DJ? SEVENTY THREE POUNDS DJ proclaimed proudly. Well he has you on that DJ ...my son is 95 pounds so he is a good bit thicker than you.

DJ said...Yeah Mr. JDHTEACH but how old is your son.

He is in 2nd grade DJ.

DJ looked at me with his eyes bulging out of his head... SECOND GRADE????

Yep...2nd grade.....

I saw DJ in the hall today....he said...Mr. JDHTEACH....when can I see a picture of your son? I told him to come see me in the morning. He said A'right!

Let the bonding begin.

No comments: