Monday, January 19, 2009

A Weekend To Remember

THIS JUST KEEPS GETTING BIGGER AND BIGGER!

That was the thought that kept running through my head as the weekend has progressed.

FRIDAY:
Tracey and I are flown out to LA by the City of Hope. The City of Hope is a foundation that organizes the transfer of stem cells for transplants around the world. They are flying Tracey and I to LA to meet my donor and a function put on by the City of Hope and the Mia Hamm Foundation. We fly to LA with ease and we are picked up by a car service. The car service takes us to our hotel. The hotel is UNBELIEVABLE! As we are checking in we notice all of these people running around like they are running away from someone. We even notice that one guy is bleeding pretty good from a shoulder wound. Then we see the huge lights and we hear ..CCCCUUUUUTTTTTTT!!! The receptionist apologized for the mess but that they were filming an episode of PRISON BREAK at the hotel that day. Wow! I am in LA for 1 hour and I get to watch the making of a TV show!
We make our way to our room and rest for a bit! We met up with Tracey's sister who lives out in LA and her boyfriend had a late lunch or early dinner. I had a great time! Tracey and I turned in about midnight Dallas time as we were both exhausted and yet excited for the BIG DAY

SATURDAY

Well this is it! The big day! Tracey and I are going to the HOME DEPOT CENTER to meet my donor. Here is what we know right now. We are being driven to the event in a limo. Mia Hamm is having a charity soccer game going on. We ASSUME we are one of hundreds of people that are meeting our donor today. We get to the limo and there is another lady there with her husband and she too is meeting her donor today. They are from the San Franciso area. They are a beautiful couple who are probably 10 years older than Tracey and I and we talk nonstop all the way to the event. Great conversation. They take all of us to a skybox where we sit for about 30 minutes and visit. At the conclusion of the 30 minutes they take us down to a sandwhich bar for lunch. THIS IS WHERE IT GET'S INTERESTING!!!!

Tracey and I are sitting there eating lunch when a gentleman is introduced to us who is going to be introducing me to the crowd. I knew that at some point they were going to introduce me out on the soccer field and I was going to meet my donor out on the field in front of everyone (about 5,000 people). I was a bit nervous about that in that this is a emotional time for me and I did not know how I would react. Well the gentleman asks me the question: What thoughts JDHTEACH were running through your head when you learned that your first treatment had failed? I answered him. He said, I like where you are going with this. How do you want to continue?

At this point I am a bit confused. I look over at Tracey and she is looking at me with a big "WHAT?" look on her face.

I restated...How do I want to continue? This is when I was told that it would be laid out like this. The other lady and her husband would talk for a few minutes then meet their donor. Then I would talk and meet my donor......

Just me and my donor......in front of 5,000 people.....

Well okay! Tracey said, You can do this...you have talked in front of large groups before......

NOT 5,000 PEOPLE TRACEY!!!!!! Was my thought...but my answer was ...yeah...no biggy..acting ever so cool while my knees became weaker by the moment!

Then I learn that this is going to take place at halftime. Great...I gotta sit here for 30 minutes.....nerves building

Then half time comes and I witness the other couple meeting their donor. I lean over to Tracey and I tell her ...Okay...I am nervous here.

She reaches into her purse and she pulls out a picture of Jack and Caroline. She says, you are here for them. If you get nervouse just look at the picture. I take the picture and immediately start staring at it.

Then I am asked this question over the PA system.

Jason, it was just over a year ago that you learned that your first treatment had failed but that you had a perfect match and would receive a transplant. What thoughts went through your mind at that moment.

Here was my answer:

A little over a year ago I was laying in a hospital bed facing my own mortality at 36 years of age. My main concern was not if I die but who would look after my beautiful wife Tracey and most importantly who would look after my children.

Because of this person's gift. I have been given a second chance at life. Because of this person's gift my wife still has her husband. And because of this person's gift Jack and Caroline still have their daddy! At this time I turned the picture of Jack and Caroline over and the camera man zoomed in on the picture. I did not know this but that was hooked up to the JUMBO TRON so there were by babies on the JUMBO TRON! 5,000 people went AAAUUUUUUHHHHHH.

Then I was asked ...Are you ready to meet your donor? Yes SIR.

Out comes JEFF my donor! As he walks towards me he says....WE ARE DOING THIS TOGETHER BROTHER! We hug! And I start half balling.....All I can say at this time is THANK YOU .....THANK YOU...over and over.

Jeff then hugs Tracey and he is given the microphone to talk. While Jeff is addressing the crowd Tracey and I look at one another and she says....

Your donor is good looking......Yes Tracey...yes he is.

I have more to share....

4 comments:

Tony Rosenberg said...

Okay - great story so far ...

And, Tracey's comment was freakin' hilarious, man .. give her a cookie!

Shari B said...

Wow you are a great writer, Jason.
You sure know how to put voice in your writing and build up the suspense! Terrific cliffhanger!

And Tracey, just how cute is Jeff? ;)

Unknown said...

Good stuff brother

The MAN Fan Club said...

Did you tell Tracey that Mia Hamm is good looking too!