Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Has This Ever Happened To You?

Here lately it has been a struggle to keep the kids out of the kitchen. They are getting back into the habbit of sneaking food out of the kitchen. We have squashed this in the past but it seems to be coming back. The thing that really irks the crap out of me is that they sneak stuff and then when it comes to meal time they just pick at it.

So Tracey and I have really been cracking down on them. We allow healthy snacks but we have a set snack time on the weekends and then the kitchen is CLOSED! PERIOD. The kids of course whine about it from time to time but that is JDHTEACH LAW. Not up for discussion.

I do most of the cooking in our house. I enjoy cooking for the family. I don't mind the kids helping with preparing the food. I enjoy teaching the kids.

Tracey always gets the kids in the kitchen when she is baking. Caroline especially loves baking.

What irks the crap out of me is when I am cooking and they keep trying to eat WHILE I AM COOKING. This leads to the same thing as snacking....meal time becomes picking. Then they want to leave.

By golly we are going to sit down together as a family and eat dinner and talk to one another about our day.

Well when they start snacking or sneaking into the kitchen I run them off. When I tell them to leave the kitchen this is the expected answer I should hear.

YES SIR. That is it. Nothing else. When I hear BUT I.....(insert excuse) My blood preasure rises quickly. I don't care what you are doing. If I tell you to leave the kitchen...you leave the kitchen.

Well tonight I hear Jack in the kitchen shuffling and I tell him he needs to leave. I start getting the 'But I...stuff and I tell him again...Jack, I told you to leave and that is what I expect you to do. But Dad...

I said DAMMIT! And I got a spatula and I just started walking toward him. His eyes got huge and he left quickly!

I look over and the dish that I was making was starting to scorch and he was just moving the pan off the burner.

HI! I am Daddy Dumb Ass! I felt horrible but I had REASON based on his past. I got the silent treatment from Jack for most of dinner.

I tried to explain to him why I did what I did but he wasn't ready to hear it.

Have you ever jumped the gun on handling a situation with your kid? If so, what did you do?

2 comments:

Leon said...

Happens almost daily as I am the "Drill Sergeant Dad". I just apologize, wipe the tears off my own face and move on. They are only mad at me for a little while as they are used to it now.

Unknown said...

Happens often.. Just as long as they know WHY you jumped the gun is b/c they normally are just being defiant.. then it becomes a teaching time saying that if you would just listen, then when u try to "but dad", I'll know there is a reason for it.