Monday, January 12, 2009

California Dreaming!

This weekend Tracey and I are flying to LA to meet the man who donated stem cells for my transplant. This Sunday will be a year to the day that I had my transplant. It is my second BIRTHDAY if you will. Without those stem cells I would not be here right now. As it turns out this is being made possible through the Mia Hamm foundation. This foundation holds an event each year that unites donors and the recievers. The foundation is flying Tracey and I out to LA. They are providing car service for us and taking us to the event.

As it was described to me it is set up at the HOME DEPOT CENTER in LA where the Galaxy play soccer. It is like a 3 hour party where people mix, and mingle. The party starts in the luxury suites with a catered lunch. Then the party moves to the stands. They are going to keep me and my donor seperate. Then they are going to call my name over the loud speakers and I am supposed to go onto the field. They are then going to call my donor and I am going to get to meet him.

I am extremely excited and yet emotional as well. I will explain in just a moment.

In addition to that I am told to get ready to have my picture taken with celebrities. She could not tell me who was going to be there because they keep this event quiet so that more celebrities show up. They do sell tickets to the event but they don't advertise.

I also had to sign off that it was okay to be interviewed by the local media! I have no idea what to expect celebrity wise but I don't care. The biggest celebrity in my case is my donor.

Why am I going to be emotional? Well if it were not for this person I would not be here. What do you say to the person that saved your life? What do you say to the person that because of them your wife still has a husband and your kids still have their daddy?

Why am I going to be emotional? The first time I went through this I was my own donor and it did not work. It lasted 11 months. When I make it to the year mark I will feel like I made it to a landmark. I am hopeful that maybe I wont think about cancer on a daily basis. When I make it to a year I will feel like I stand a chance of this disease not coming back. I stand a chance of beating this.

It does not take talking about cancer for me to think about it. Usually what happens is I will be doing something with the kids and a thought pops into my head. Please God do not take me away from my kids? Please!

It happens almost daily. Saturday as Jack and I were leaving the gym from our first basketball game with me as the coach Jack came over and said, Dad, I had a lot of fun today. My response, I did too Jack. Dad, I love you! My response, I love you too Jack.

I will say it again. Please God...do not take me away from my kids. They need their daddy and I need them.

You can see why this is an emotional time I am sure.

3 comments:

Shari B said...

You are a blessing in so many lives, Jason. I know that when your donor meets you, your radiant personality and joy for life will be an inspiration to them.
Have an awesome time with Tracey in LA, enjoy every single moment out there and get some great pictures. You are a wonderful man, terrific husband and father, and a great buddy!
Love ya! Shari

Unknown said...

I am glad you are here too! You're a good guy & enjoy the few times we are together. Have a great trip & you have my permission to pass my digits along to all the celebs that may want to hire me for non-profit work. I am serious, I have tried to get this going a couple times & never have.. I'd just love to be able to help people for a living!

MJP & SJP said...

This is going to be a fantastic experience and we know you two will have a great trip!