Monday, January 26, 2009

Finally In The GREEN

Like everyone else in the free world Tracey and I have been feeling the pinch when it comes to today’s economy. Overall, I must say that through all of it Tracey and I had been able to do what we want to do within reason over the past year.

Well then back in October I got put in the hospital for a few days. Let’s just say the rates are a bit higher than the Motel 6. Then we have a little medical issue with Tracey…..then taxes are due at the lake at Cedar Creek (which is for sale if you are interested)….and then there is this little holiday called Christmas and Jack’s birthday.

We really started trying to clamp down on our spending AND we started doing coupon shopping at the grocery store. Everything else was something we either could NOT cut out OR if we did we would spend MORE money in another area so it would be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

The biggest area we felt we could make a difference was eating out. With my new job I am home earlier so therefore Mon-Fri I am cooking at home. With the exception of a couple of CiCi’s nights to support our local school we have stuck with it. EVEN on the weekends.

Even by doing that we have really been getting frustrated because by getting hit with all of the other expenses I mentioned earlier we had been able to save ZERO in October, November, and December. In some cases we have had to pull from savings JUST to call it even.

Tracey and I have NEVER been the type to live off of what we make. We both have money pulled out of our checks for retirement and I have an additional item I put a generous sum into each month so that when Tracey and I retire….we are RETIRING….I have no intention of retiring to go work somewhere 9-5. We are going to be TRAVELING!!!!!! I plan on working somewhere with very little responsibility and I have no problem someone half my age telling me what to do….I don’t WANT responsibility.

Still we have always tried to put a little away in a sock for little things that pop up…..like water heaters that go out…or if you are diagnosed with let’s say leukemia??? When both of those happen and one of them TWICE in a 12 month period…..it gets financially impacting!!!! Right MJP????

You can see why this has been so FRUSTRATING!!!

Well I have a MAJOR FINANIAL ANNOUNCEMENT- For the month of January Tracey and I were able to save money!!!!

The biggest areas that we saved money on were as follows:
1. Credit Card- Eating out and putting it on the card adds up QUICKLY!!!!
2. Grocery Shopping- This is probably the BIGGEST area that we are saving money.
Many times with the store card and a coupon you save BIG TIME!—We got a jar of
Good salad dressing for a dollar the other day. Tracey go a nice size roast for 5.47
Her card AND the instant 30% savings the other day. Overall I would say we save
Anywhere between 45%-65% on our grocery bill.
3. I am getting creative with left over food. What is chicken one night could become chicken salad the next.
4. Tracey’s willingness to go through the coupons and set up her coupon book….THANKS MAN CLUB for the set up idea. Tracey is a trouper!
5. Gas- somehow our gas bill has significantly dropped….300-450 range to 175 this month. WOW!!!


We have a few ideas when looking at our bills where we think we can shave some more stuff off. Our big goal is to hang in there until MAY. At that time Caroline will be DONE with DAY CARE. This can run us anywhere from 550-600+ a month! Not a year….A MONTH!!!! THAT my friends….is impacting!

If anyone has some ideas for what they do to save money I would love to hear them! What have you done during these economic times?

1 comment:

Leon said...

Instead of making that trip to the store for taco shells, skip it and make nachos or a salad. Those quick trips kill me on gas and I always end up buying something else too. Cut out the delivery of the newspaper and magazines. It's all online anyway.