Saturday, August 22, 2009

Humble

Today was our districts’ convocation to officially kick off our school year. I truly believe that I am in a unique situation here in my district. I have been on campuses in other districts where everyone supports one another and everyone does whatever is asked of them. However, it is not that way across the board. This is the only district that I have been in where across the board EVERYONE supports one another and that is awesome.
I will be honest about something. I feel a bit out of place at this time. For the first time in six years I am not in charge of a campus building. I feel like a Captain with no ship. It is part of the “first” that I have been dealing with in my new position. The first spring where I am not a campus administrator, the first summer where I am not a campus administrator, now the first start of school where I am not a campus administrator.
There are many parts of the job I don’t miss. This is not one of them. The start of school is always an exciting time of year. The teachers are ready to go, the school is all clean, and everyone is excited to get the year going.
Today I had a bit of an emotional experience in that the campuses were being recognized and given banners for their testing performance at convocation. These banners will be placed on the buildings and are a huge source of pride. For the first time ever our district will be a recognized district. This is huge! If I could tell you where we were just 6 years ago….wow!
It came time to give my former campus their RECOGNIZED banner for a job well done. I am so proud of the staff. You see I had to step down for health reasons at Thanksgiving of last year. To say the campus had challenges is an understatement. Any time you change leadership of a campus it’s big. When you do it DURING the school year….HOLY COW.
Well Mr. Murray, our superintendant, starts out by saying something about the challenges this campus faced and let nothing get in their way….and he calls down the principal and staff of BRENT INTERMEDIATE. The staff comes to the stage and everyone his hooting it up. I go and stand at the bottom of the stage to congratulate everyone as they are going up the stairs to get on the stage. Then when they are all up on stage I stand off to the side and applaud and give them a thumb’s up signal. Then Mr. Murray get’s back to the microphone and he says this.
I want to recognize someone who is near and dear to all of us and without him this campus could not have done what it has done please help me recognize Mr. JDHTEACH.
I was stunned….it’s the first time I have ever been recognized like that. The staff at Brent went nuts and all of the people in the audience were clapping. All I could do was clap back and just wipe a tear that began running down my cheek.

No comments: