Tuesday, August 4, 2009

His Calling?


When I was growing up I BEGGED my parents to let me play football. They refused. Their reasoning for their hard stance? They did not want me doing a contact sport such as football until my body was ready. I remember my dad telling me that if football was my calling I would catch up quickly to anyone who has been playing. Seventh grade started and sure enough I was on third string. Eighth grade stared and I moved up to second string. Then I GREW between my 8th and 9th grade year. I was 6 foot 2 inches tall and I was 175lbs. That is a human string bean but by those standards I was a beast. During summer workouts I beat the living hell out of everyone. When line ups were announced I was a starter. FINALLY!
In addition to football I was also in the band. So when high school approached I had a decision to make. Get beat up for 3 hours a day for a team that has a history of being bad OR I could concentrate on the band. A band that has a history of being great! I had the opportunity to see my sister in the band and see how much FUN they had. So my decision was very easy. BAND IT IS!!! And my mother was so happy!
My mother is hoping this is going to happen with my son. Well mom you still have time so keep hoping away. You see we took Jack to his skills assessment for his upcoming Flag Football season. It looks like the boy was born to play the game. He did great! And He LOVED IT. He talked about his experience the entire way home. He wants to cut everything out of his schedule so he can concentrate on football. He obviously is built for it but we shall see how the cutting everything else is going to go. Watching him play you can tell he just loves. He loves everything about it. The only thing we need to work on is his attitude. He becomes MACHO MAN when he plays but he does not turn it off. We usually have to knock him down a peg or two.
Practices start in two weeks…wish us luck.

No comments: