Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Does This Bug You or Is It Just Me?

Not too long ago I was given a responsibility to inform a certain group of people of the requirements that needed to be met to accomplish a goal. Some of you may laugh but when it comes to my work I am very detail oriented.
So I create an email and include a check list of what is needed from to complete our goal. In addition to that I create a list of possible questions they may have along with the answers to this question.
Well it is not to long before I start getting hit with questions of what they need to do to accomplish their goal. I refer them back to my email with the QUOTED portion of the email that answers their question.
Which leads me to this question- Do they even READ the email before they ask a question?

3 comments:

unt grad said...

No, because 9 times out of 10 there is usually GOBS of extraneous information in emails like that and at this time of the year the brain is on overload. It's easier to hear it from an actual person than try to decifer what the hell is being said AND try to get your job done during TAKS season. Also, 9 times out of 10 the person (and I'm not referring to you) that sends the email has a totally warped sense of grammar and the sentences tend to be MASSIVE run ons. Therefore making the email confusing. So it's just easier to a) talk to the person who sent the email, or b) ignore the whole thing all together. That's just from a teacher's point of view. If the people who read the email were not teachers and some other group who don't have classes full of 22-28 adolescent or pre-adolescent children than they need to get on the stick and figure it out.

JDHTEACH said...

You assume I have a lot of filler in my notice. I stuck to the facts. Trust me, you would shake your head.

Teachers are worse though. And I can say that because I was one of them. It not everyone mind you. 90% of the people got it and sent what I needed within 2 minutes of reading my email.

What I find funny is its the people that jump on others for doing the same thing.

JDHTEACH said...

Wait....did I read that you just IGNORE IT?

That explains a few things.