Monday, March 30, 2009

Gotta Give Props to THE MAN and T-Lady

A while back I blogged about ways to save money. Tracey and I adopted the coupon book similar to what THE MAN and his wife do for grocery units. In addition to that about a year ago Tracey and I adopted an envelope policy. What is that you ask? That is were you determine a select amount of money and put in the envelope each month. That money is used for entertainment purposes. Out to eat...movies...you get the point.

While we slipped away from the envelope policy Tracey and I recommitted ourselves to the envelope in January and added the coupon book. Finally, credit card. (for the most part) are not being used. I will say this. We have limited the spending GREATLY the past few months. We pay off our credit card each month however some items such as gas, Tollway, and dry cleaning and my co pays are tied to our credit card. So we have really cut back using the CC at all. Just to keep us honest I call every other week to check the balance on the card. We have saved a number of dollars each month since January following this policy. We even saved a good amount of money while paying off one of my medical bills (down to two YES) and I cleared 600 dollars less this month due to the amount of work I missed while dealing with E-Coli. Is that amazing or what. In two months Tracey and I are done with child care forever!!! WHOO HOO- That is going to be a nice raise as well.

It has been great! No longer do Tracey and I DREAD bill paying time. We were actually kind of excited.

I know people are doing different things but I wanted to share what we are doing to help save money

3 comments:

MJP & SJP said...

That's fantastic. It's nice not to dread wondering what bill is in the mail.

unt grad said...

speak for yourself. I always dread it.

The MAN Fan Club said...

My wife did our 1/2 month check up last night and even with us spending $500 for my surgery we are able to almost pay off our Radioshack bill for our laptop and tv. We figure with the cash envelope system we can attack about $1300 in debt each month. We too get a childcare raise this summer. We should be down to one car and the house by November. NICE! Amazing how much we whiz away each month by not thinking about it.