Tuesday, December 1, 2009

To Believe Or Not To Believe

That is the question that keeps going through Jack’s head. He desperately wants to believe that Santa Clause is real. The problem is he has some friends (two of which I am not fond of to begin with that live down the street) that are telling him there is no Santa Clause and his parents do everything. They even eat the cookies!
I am ready when the time comes to talk to Jack about the “Spirit of Santa Clause” and the joy of giving. But as long as he wants to believe in the “The Man” I am not going to crush his world of innocence. I know others are out there who think that Tracey and I should just come clean and tell him. But why do it until we have too? You don’t keep this view of the world very long so why shorten it? Also, his sister is only 6 and I don’t want him ruining it for her.
The conflict in Jacks world right now was never more evident than this past Sunday. As has become tradition my mother takes the kids for their Christmas picture then they go see Santa. On the way to see Santa Jack told Grammy that he did not need to go sit on Santa’s lap because he was going to write Santa a letter of what he wanted for Christmas.
My mother handled it beautifully. She said that was okay with her but that he needed to stay where she could see him while she went through the line with Caroline. This was a great relief to Jack. He stood back by the elevators with his head on a constant look out for anyone who might know him. He hung out looking cool.
The next morning Jack crawled into bed with me for a few moments of Daddy Time and he asked if it was okay that he chose not to sit in Santa’s lap. I told him sure! What if Santa misses my letter…there are thousands of them for him to read you know. True, but that is why Santa has all of the helpers. They keep Santa “In the know.”
I hope you’re right dad!

Now I ask you….WHY would you want to end this prematurely?

No comments: