Friday, December 18, 2009

I am a baby...I admit it.

Last week my superintendant announced that he was leaving the district. This news has hit everyone in the administration very emotional. It's not often that a large group of people feel this way toward their boss. I am going to admit this. I have cried on more than one occassion over this. Each time I think to myself .... GET OVER THIS.....it's just this man went out of his way to take care of me during my illness. I also have learned SO MUCH from him over the past years.

Today I met with him privately for probably the last time. I gave him an envelope with a letter and a family portrai enclosed. Here is my letter. AND YES I TEARED UP JUST HANDING IT TO HIM

Mr. Murray,
I wanted to take an opportunity to thank you for everything you have done for me and my family. I struggle writing this letter because as I think about everything you have done for me I have to stop and take a break because I start to tear up. I have truly been blessed to be here in Little Elm working under your guidance. Please understand that I speak for my whole family in thanking you for taking care of me during my serious illness. You always wanted to take care of me and lift any fears I may have had in making sure that my teachers and students were being taken care of at all times.
I still remember when I was first diagnosed and was in stable condition in the hospital. You took time out of your day to drive all the way to Zale Lipshey just to see me and spend about 30 minutes just to talk with me. Any time I wanted to talk about work you would shut it down and want to talk about my family and what you could do for them. How is Tracey? Are Jack and Caroline doing okay? My favorite visit and most memorable took place about 3 weeks later. School was out and everyone was gone. I was feeling better and was actually up and moving around. I was sitting in the family visitation room and the door opens and here comes someone who looks at me. He is wearing flip flops, shorts, sun glasses, and a baseball cap. He looks at me and says, “for someone so sick you sure are hard as hell to find.” I looked up and I realized it was you! I just started laughing. You spent over an hour talking with me just to check up on me. At the end of the visit you mentioned you needed to get going because your wife and daughter were down stairs waiting for you. I was shocked! You took time out of your summer to come down to see me with your family and I knew the hospital was NOT on your way to anything.
I want you to know Mr. Murray that the impact you have had on my life cannot be expressed in words. I will be grateful for the rest of my life. I know in my heart that part of the reason I am alive today is in direct relation to what you and this district have done to take care of me and my family. On behalf of my whole family I wish you nothing but the best. I will always cherish the time I spent under your guidance. You will be missed but never forgotten.
Sincerely,

Jason Huffman

1 comment:

The MAN Fan Club said...

Nice, start praying that you'll get someone as involved and caring.