Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Is This Such A Good Idea?

My office is housed in a school. In this school the class for students with major handicaps is housed. This class is about 4 doors down from my office. We also house the districts staff development center in this wing. For the most part the kids in this class are awesome. They love coming to school and they are so sweet.

Occassionally there is a student that qualifies for the class and I am not sure their placement is the best placement. There is a student that has recently joined the class that fits this discription.

On the days the student shows up for school it seems all they do is scream.... and scream A LOT! To the point that we have to close doors to try and conduct business. I cannot imagine being in the classroom and trying to teach the other kids while that is going on.

I feel for the parents of this child but as a parent of the other kids in the classroom I would want to know how in the world they can meet the special needs of my child with that amount of disruption going on in the classroom.

What can these teachers possibly provide this child that they cannot get at home? I don't have an answer. Do you keep the child at home..... go to a special school. I just don't know if this child is in the right placement.

No comments: