Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Good Parenting or Parent Give Up?

Overall I feel Tracey and I are very good parents. Sure we have our flaws and we admit them to ourselves and we work at getting better so that when situations arise in the future we handle them appropriately. Occassionally we resort to "old school" ways but for the most part stay away from it.

Did your parents ever say "when your my age you will understand!"

Well there is one thing that would land me in the dog house with my dad faster than anything and at the time I did not understand it. Do you want to guess what it was?

That is right...disrespecting my mother. My dad would handle a lot of things but if I so much as looked at mom wrong I was toast. My sister got it too but it seemed like I had a much shorter leash.

Well now that I am a dad I get it. Nothing gets me more upset than when Jack gets disrespectful to Tracey. It's because I know NO ONE and I mean NO ONE loves that boy more than Tracey. He is her first baby. Till the day she dies that boy will be protected by her. Tracey tears up just talking about some of the stuff he says or does because it is so sweet for crying out loud.

So Jack has been having some problems handling disappointment or a challenge. He goes from being happy to pissed in the blink of an eye. We have been working with him on problem solving and how to appropriately handle disappointment with marginal success but for the most part with Jack it seems the world is coming to an end if he does not get his way.

So we have run up the white flag and admitted we need some help. So starting this month we are having Jack meet with a counselor once a month. We have done this in the past when I was sick and it seemed to really help. We shall see...financially it is impacting but I will pay whatever for the emotional security of my son.

So Good Parenting or Parent Give Up?

1 comment:

JDHTEACH said...

Good parenting. When a 5 year old must deal with concepts in life that most kids his age don't even have an inkling of -- possible death of a parent -- then some things just aren't right. To be able to talk to someone, not related to you, and get some ideas on how to handle situation is helpful. So, it's good parenting. Would it be good parenting to continue down the road of, "Well that's how it used to be handled." or ask for help is good parenting. T-lady